Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2005, 7:40 PM   #11

or a bigger one.. the ds now supports them.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:08 AM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
or a bigger one.. the ds now supports them.
The firmware just before 2.0 was updated to go to 2gb cards and above. I am not sure what the highest will be with 2.0. I heard that 4Gb SD will be out in a short while.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:07 PM   #13

here's a shot that i shot in raw at a air show. everything was underexposed -but- i shot it in raw. what i did was combine an under and an over to get the final image. this could only be done w/a raw image. if you're interested let me know and i'll tell how.
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:09 PM   #14

Nice job what did you do to merge the two photos?
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:40 AM   #15

using photoshop

adjust your image to the dark setting
open it in PS, select all,copy, discard it.. you've got it copied

adjust 2nd image to the brite side. i try not to go over 2f-stops
open in PS.
paste the dark image onto the light image. this creates a new layer.

select the new layer and add a layer mask(TV thingy at bottom of layer palette)
this puts a white screen image into that layer on the palette.

select the first layer, select all, copy

alt./ click the small white screen on the other layer. you should have a totally white image now.

paste. your image now should be a blk. & white of the image.

filter>blur>gaussian blur> setting of 40

now click the bottom layer in the layer palette and that's your combine image
layers>flatten image> and go from there.. this gives you a lot more dynamic range. you get the shadow detail as well as the highlites. you can also start w/two of the same shots. i hear that CS2 has something and easier like this.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:57 AM   #16
Administrator

robar wrote:
Quote:
actually .raw saves nothing except what the cam sees. no settings at all. that's the beauty of it. you get to set the parameters
Actually, raw files do contain things like the white balance settings used by the camera (which are basically some rgb multipliers stored in the metadata).

Many raw converters will see and use some of these settings as a starting point (for example, you can set some of them to use the "as shot" white balance).

Then, you may not need to change it later (making your workflow faster shooting in raw).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:17 AM   #17

I am trying to use Rawshooters Essentials, but all my thumbnails are grainy pink and undecipherable. I'm using the raw settings on an *ist D.

Pentax's Lab software reads and processes them OK, but with not many options.

Thanks,

Mike
michaeldwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:13 AM   #18

I just tested for myself the difference on my DS2 between Best JPG (***) and RAW opened in PS Elements 3.0 (Mac version) with the new Adobe Camera RAW 3.3 plugin. I can see noticeably better detail in the RAW file when pixel-peeping at 100% on screen, but I haven't yet tried printing to see if there's a visible differencein an 8x10" print.

However, even the JPG qualityis much much better than the Kodak P&S digicam I moved up from, so I'm happy either way!

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:45 AM   #19

Personally, I find RAW just too much of a pain to use. I used ALL of the RAW converters, including Capture One& none really appear to work that well - the Adobe RAW plug-in for Photoshop is about the best BUT trying to balance the shot to get vibrant results just seems impossible compared with the JPEG image straight out of the camera enhanced in Photoshop.

The attached image shows the results alongside each other:
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:48 PM   #20

once you get use to using raw it's very easy to get better jpeg from the processed raw image. to me the jpg out of the cam is a crippled image. getting vibrant colors and saturation is the reason i started shooting in raw only.. i don't have the best equipment as i'm on a shoestring budget and shooting in raw gives me the best results. you can go here
http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/731585?folder=0
and view my gallery there and then see if you can't get vibrant colors from raw images. evary shot there is at first a raw image. first you process the raw and then you processit again as you would a jpg. out of the camera you only have the ''crippled'' jpg to work with. just my 2 cents¢
¢