Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2006, 3:52 PM   #21

michaeldwilson wrote:
Quote:
I am trying to use Rawshooters Essentials, but all my thumbnails are grainy pink and undecipherable. I'm using the raw settings on an *ist D.

Pentax's Lab software reads and processes them OK, but with not many options.

Thanks,

Mike
RSE is a crippled program. i used it myslf and it sucks. i've tried RSP and it's a totally different ballgame. i'm thinking of buying it as i think it may be a little better than ACR. adobe angered me recently as they will update PSE3&4 and CS2 to ACR3.3 but they will not update CS.. haven't figured out why..
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:16 PM   #22

Rawshooter Essentials worked fine with files from my friends *istDS but will not open my *istDL files, the same pink mess described above. I have used CS2 with the latest version of Camera RAW and it is truly fantastic giving amazing control.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:11 PM   #23

I've played some more with the RAW converters at my disposal & concluded that Pentax PhotoLab is closer to what might be expected when compared with JPEG - straight out of the camera.

Colours are more accurate with Pentax Photolab - overall sharpness is also better.

Full size image can be viewed here:

http://www.catbells.plus.com/Utiliti...Comparison.jpg

Colours look smoother with Pentax Photolab, Adobe PhotoShop CS2 comes 2nd, Bibble possibly 3rd with Capure One forth - I couldn't get Capture One to improve on the colours which would have positioned it higher up.

The exercise was worthwhile as I shall be taking my next batch of images in RAW for processing in Pentax PhotoLab

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:45 PM   #24

catbells, don't get mad, not meant that way.
a lot of comparisons don't mean a thing. it depends on the users of the program and their ability with that program..

ira, RSE is okay but it doesn't hold a candle to RSPro. there's no comparison. RSP lets you manipulate even more than ACRaw which i use all the time..

Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:48 PM   #25

RAW has much more info in the file than jpg and is much more forgiving if something goes wrong with your exposure, that said, I almost always use jpg. RAW files are too large and when I am shooting moving birds, it takes too long to fill the buffer betweeen shots and I miss shots I get with jpg.

I could not have shot this sequence of a flying cormorant using RAW with my DS:
http://www.computerartscompany.com/FocusTest/

I will get four shots using jpg and only one shot using RAW in the same time span, plus the images in jpg mode are color perfect right out of the camera, requiring only some sharpening. RAW files on the other hand always require quite a bit of PP to get the same result color wise I get normally from jpg.

If Pentax comes out with a new DS with a faster buffer, I will then consider using RAW the majority of the time, but for now it is jpg.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:27 PM   #26

quite right but i seldomly shoot action. when i do i shoot in jpeg but anything else it's raw all the way. nice shots BTW

roy
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:31 PM   #27

robar wrote:
Quote:
catbells, don't get mad, not meant that way.
a lot of comparisons don't mean a thing. it depends on the users of the program and their ability with that program..

ira, RSE is okay but it doesn't hold a candle to RSPro. there's no comparison. RSP lets you manipulate even more than ACRaw which i use all the time..

It was the Pro version of RAW Shooter that I was using.

You are right, there's so much manipulation which is why I've steered clear of RAW for so long; the Pentax PhotoLab produces clear JPEGS on auto without too much hastle!!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:30 PM   #28

tom,
you could have gotten the 5 shots using raw just as fast as jpg. the limit for raw is 5 tho. and it does take awhile to write the images but as soon as 1 is written you can get another.. wish i had a faster card to see if it's beneficial..
Old Jan 29, 2006, 12:18 AM   #29

If the sun ever comes out again, I will give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:14 PM   #30

Pentax PhotoLab on Auto seems to work really well & after a days shoot, with over 100 images to process, fine tweaking in Adobe RAW etc would be somewhat time consuming; Pentax PhotLab also has the ability to manually adjust images as well.

I didn't spend too much time trying to get to grips with the other RAW converters so it may well be that given more time, results could be improved over what I achieved.

However, I didn't have to spend any time familiarising myself with Pentax PhotoLab with very acceptable results straight away.

I just processed over 100 shots (took just over 1hr) taken today with my Sigma 28-135mm Macro Zoom lens which I've tended not to use too much as JPEG results always seemed inferior to the Pentax 18-55mm (when comparing like focal lengths). However, looking at the converted JPEG images, I'm much more impressed with the Sigma than I have been previously.

Looks like I'll be using RAW a lot more from now on.