Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:42 PM   #31

I use Adobe Elements3 to open my PEF (Pentax RAW) files. What happens if I save them as "Photoshop RAW"? Will I loose data, or do I get the same RAW in an other format? This digital darkroom really is something new compared to darkness, smells and temerature measuring.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:10 AM   #32

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I use Adobe Elements3 to open my PEF (Pentax RAW) files. What happens if I save them as "Photoshop RAW"? Will I loose data, or do I get the same RAW in an other format? This digital darkroom really is something new compared to darkness, smells and temerature measuring.

Kjell
The RAW output from the camera i.e. PEF files is different to the RAW file saved in Photoshop & yes some data will probably be lost.

Obviously, the *.RAW Photoshop file will not obliterate the camera *.PEF file which contains the necessary data to decode the image.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:44 PM   #33

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Kjell
read this.
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:13 PM   #34

Thanks Roy, I've downloaded it and will install tomorrow to see what it can do for me. Hope Pentax turns to DNG. Will it be possible for older models (read: my DS) with a firmware upgrade?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:46 PM   #35

Just wish to make a short remark that besides the functional difference of RAW and Jpeg, as others who replied have already suggested, there exists an obvious difference in quality and resolution between my *ist DS and *ist D's jpeg and RAW produced jpegs (both 24 bits in color depth). The difference can be viewed at full screen with care and can be found very easily at 100% even if you don't bother to pixel peep. Furthermore, the difference becomes more obvious with excellent Pentax optics which are mostly prime lenses.

IMHO, with any *ist D series camera, shooting RAW is the way to go. Don't use Jpeg mode unless it is a must.

Regards,
RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:20 PM   #36

Pentax Photolab v2-1 Upgrade

If you install the update to v2-1 then notice that RAW converted files look just like JPEGS straight out of the camera.

Personally, I like the output from v2 better than v2-1 even though v2 is slower to convert & crashes when processing large number of images.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:30 PM   #37

Actually, I can see the difference with no matter which RAW convertor is checked against in-camera jpeg.

BTW, the moire/bayer artifacts look different somehow with PPL V1 against V2. But I found no big difference for V2.0 against V2.1.

If one wants to have more detailed pictures, I recommend SilkyPix (but then the noise suppression by default is no as good as the PPL 2)

Cheers,
RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:14 PM   #38

I shot a cast portrait for the local amateur drama group last night, however, in all the commotion I left the camera in jpeg mode, well the results are OK. I have shot in RAW and used both the Pentax lab software and the latest Adobe Camera RAW (which gives excellent results) and RiceHigh is definitely right about the quality of the Pentax RAW images, they are far smoother with sharper transitions and nicer colour.

The saving grace about last night's shoot was that I converted the images to black and white which looked much nicer.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:17 PM   #39

ira, you're correct IMHO. of course i got hooked a long time ago.. once you get use to raw your images will improve.. B&W just saw a tut over at bbr, i'll post it separately.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:26 PM   #40

Holy cow! One shot I wanted to print (had to get converted to jpg to take down to printer) looked horrid next to the psd/raw. PS conversion max quality.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote