Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:17 AM   #21

Any idea why the AWB Fn menu isn't selectable?

The other three appear as they were, and I can certainly adjust them.

Edit:

/panic

You may NOT adjust AWB in auto in v 2, evidentally

Edit:

Seems my batteries are lasting longer...
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:11 AM   #22

With V2.0, I found the re-focussing between shots during continuous shooting mode somewhat faster. This is true whether you're using AF-S or AF-C. Of course I'd rather it locked focus on the first shot and fired away without re-focussing between each shot (V3.0?). Anyone else notice this?
flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:04 PM   #23

Any grayed out menu item means it is not available in that mode. WB is Auto in all the scene modes, but adjustable in M,AV,TV,B etc.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:06 AM   #24

what is af-s and af-c anyway
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 6:44 AM   #25

AF-S is just normal auto-focus, and AF-C is continuous auto-focus. AF-C was only previously available in the automatic sports setting, but thanks to the new firmware you can use it in P, TV, AV, M and B as well.

http://photos.edgladwin.com/ - My Gallery & Shop
ejgladwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:30 AM   #26

ah, of course. I probably couldve worked that out if i tried it
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:11 AM   #27

breathing again
it took me two goes after putting the update inside DCIM folder the first time
oooooppsssss

the continuous focus looks interesting
i have played with it
now to take some serious action photos to see what happens

my place - http://johndolphin.net/photos/
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:02 AM   #28

Quote:
yeah!!! i waspooping solid bricks for awhile there!!!
Me too - I guess I should have read this thread before doing the upgrade.

I hadn't bothered to go to 1.2 - "if it ain't broke" and all that - and I prefer more to use a handful of 512Mb cards than one big one.

All seems fine now.

Terry1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:08 AM   #29

yeah.....
the poop filled up the chair. thought i had a $1000 paper wieght
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:25 AM   #30

I Just updated the firmware on my ist DS. I had updated from 1.0 to 1.01 6 month ago without any problems. But after it went to Pentax for repair under warranty (long story) it came back with 1.0. I never got round to reinstalling 1.01 but then saw 2.0 was available and had to install it. Well, like others said the boot & install was a bit slower than last time. Also, once firmware upgrade"Complete" displayed the SD memory orange light just blinked continually. I followed the instructions; switch off and remove SD card. But when I switched back on there was absolutley nothing happening. Heart missed a beat then. Instincts told me to remove/install batteries and then retry...yippee it fired up and holding Menu button when ON confirmed "Version 2" in display. There are only maybe half the updates that are great improvements to me. The AF-S and C are great additions to the non-Auto Picture mode functions (Av,TV,P, M etc) and easy enough to understand when and how to switch between C and S AF modes. AE-L button on M adds Priority shift to the existing P shift which can be useful and little more convenient for different situations. The biggest improvement to me though is the Auto sensitity changes. ASA settings were a little confusing and limited before. You could set any ASA from 200 to 3200 in the FN function but you could also overide this FN setting in the menu with the Auto range. But it was never clear whether the auto range used the FN setting as the lowest ASA for the Auto range if set. Also the ISO warning setting would not warn youwhen auto range was set ON. All very confusing. Now you have the manual 200-3200 setting in FN remaining but the Added "AUTO" ASA in FN is now here. The Custom Menu now lets you set any auto range from 200 to 1600 for min range to 3200 Max and FN menu lets you knowwhen Auto Settingis actuallyON. The ISO warning only displays when the manual chosen ASA exceeds (or matches) the warning ASA set. So never any ISO warning in Auto ASA mode from FN menu. However, although it's easy to see how ISO warning and actual ASA now works, this is not explained at all in the firmware update notes. All the other update features are fluff to me. I guess the greying out of settings not available in Auto Pic mode (like Sharpness) are less confusing now, but doesn't make much difference to the end picture results. Overall, a momentary nerve wracking install procedure but 2.0 adds some long awaited improvements comapred to version 1.01.
msymons is offline   Reply With Quote