Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:14 PM   #31

I dont want to sound like a troll msymons, but use of paragraphs wouldve made your post alot easier to read.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:54 PM   #32

Point Noted. I should mention that I don't have much confidence in Pentax with overall Quality anymore. Being a long devoted Pentax consumer I will probably bite the bullet and go Nikon IF I have another defect issue with this potentially great camera...When youno longer see "Made in Japan" on the base plate, you have to start worrying with good reason.

I thank you.
msymons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:04 PM   #33

I have to disagree with you, I have been using Pentax cameras for as long as I could remember and feel they are still quality cameras. Just because the camera says "Assembled in Philippines" does not make it a bad or inferior camera. All the parts are made in Japan then assembled in another location.
The fact that Pentax heard that customers needed changes to the firmware and reacted by providing new firmware that matches a newer model camera only enforces the fact of quality. The DS with it superior meetering and multi zone focus now has the improved software making it an even better camera than the DS2 which has less features but bigger LCD.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:47 PM   #34

I'm sorry to say that I speak from experience and not just mindless statements. The intermitant problem was a noticeably color block effect in the pictures as if the image was encoded 256 colors only. It was barely noticeable on the LCD unless you looked for it, but It was most noticeable when viewed on PC or prints and especially with skin tones.The retail shop agreed it was a fault and it was eventually fixed by a thorough strip down, clean and reassembly by Pentax in Golden HQ after a 1 month wait/tunraround...

Therefore I have to question the process of assembly in the Philippines and/or the necessary QC checks preventing such defects to slip by. I know you will say I was probably just unlucky...However, this was my second ist DS after replacing the very first one which refused to fire the shutter after immediate unpacking and setup. It was replaced the nextweek by the retailer who didn't have anymore bodies in stock (only had kit with lens in stock).

Don't get me wrong, I really love this camera, and the 2.0 firmware update answers most of the users initial minor gripes. I just don't have long term confidence in using this camera yet and was pretty peeved to lose over 50% of my shots on a European trip due to the image defect which I didn't notice till I returned home. When you spend $700 for a body you expect it to work properly all the time. Good luck with your ist DS & I hope it proves more reliable for you.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 7:56 PM   #35

BTW - I don't agree with the DS2 features being lower than the DS...As far as I'm aware the ist DS2 is exactly the same regards features/Specification as the DS EXCEPT only for the larger LCD display. So firmware 2.0 should be applicable to DS2 as well as DS.But the DL is def lower spec, especially regardsit's inferior Penta Mirrorviewfinder and flash Synch speed.

I heard they're not even bothering to official release the DS2 in Europe because of this minor LCD change. I guess the Yankee market has more need for bigger LCDs to go along with their obsession for big screen TVs!

I thank you.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:01 PM   #36

If I remember the specs the DS has some functions missing on the DS2. I tried to see the difference on the Pentax site, but half the information for the DS is missing.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:49 AM   #37

The DS2 is even superior to the DS in regards to the AF-S and AF-C menu option alreadyshipped with the camera without any firmware upgrade needed(Steve's review shows this function available). So without the 2.0 firmware upgrade to the DS, the DS2 has maybe a better spec. I have yet to see anything that's inferior on the DS2 compared to DS.(Maybe Battery life is shorter due to larger LCD and backlight consumption...but that's being nit picking and my guess is it's negligible difference!)

Tally Ho!
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:26 PM   #38

I have two istDS cameras I bought one in April '05, and then another in September when I found that it wasgoing to bediscontinued. I use both my primary and back-up camera. I don't have LBA fortunately. I bought two other lenses besides the kit lens with my first one.

Never a problem with anything I have read thus far other than I got some junk on my viewfinder screen. It won't make any difference in my shot other than me.

The cameras went through the upgrade flawlessly and my only wish is for better weather to give them a go.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:21 PM   #39

Who/where is it stated the DS is being discontinued? Unless the DS2 is the considered replacement or there's a higher Megapixel model around the corner, I can't see how the DS will be cut anytime soon.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:32 PM   #40

Well just check the forum on that. That is where I got my information. Got the second body for a good price which is no longer listed except for the DL and now theDS2.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote