Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2005, 9:18 AM   #1

Not sure if this is a problem, or if it's normal for D-SLR's.

Usually whenI take a picture with my DS2 side-by-side with my wife's Sony DSC-W1 and my old Fuji 602 Pro, the photos from the DS2 look quite a bit darker than the others when I download them to my PC. On the LCD screen on the back, they look just fine.

This happens whenever I'm in Auto Picture mode, Picture mode, Program AE, Shutter Priority AE, orAperture Priority AE.

I mentioned this to the person that sold it to me, and he said that this was a trait of all D-SLR's. Apparently, he always has to brighten his pics that he downloads from his Nikon, so he thinks this is normal.

I should also add that this happens when I use the built-in flash. I'm currently still testing without flash and outdoors. But still, is it that the Pentax flash is underpowered? I've tried adjusting the flash output with the Flash Exposure Compensation, but with limited success.

Overall, the detail looks good, but I hate having to brighten my photos all the time. Is this normal??? :?

-Peter.

pymlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:43 PM   #2

It seems the metering system in the Pentax (don't know about the other manufacturers), underexposes most of the time, but not always. I shot some high altitude photos and had to boost the ev by 1 1/3 many times to get the correct exposure whereas my digicam was the opposite and I had to underexpose for the same shots. Check your histogram after taking a picture to get a feel for how the camera's metering system works for each condition you're shooting in and adjust accordingly. I found this the easiest workaround for a correctly exposed shot. I use the histogram for reviewing often. Also, it's easier to boost exposure in pp than reducing exposure. Overexposed you might not be able to save a photo, whereas if it's underexposed, you have a much better chance of saving it..........thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:46 PM   #3

i haven't had this prob at all. even so i always shoot in raw and w/just about anything i post has had an under and a over exposure combined to get the most dynamic range available.. aint PS marvelous??? wish i had CS2 but right now the LBA is dictating...
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:47 PM   #4

Are you using spot metering or center weighted?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:57 AM   #5

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Are you using spot metering or center weighted?
Right now I'm spot metering. I've tried center weight, and to tell you the truth, I haven't noticed much of a difference.

I suppose center weighted should look brigter on average? (ie. unless I'm always spot metering on something dark?)

Thanks for the responses thus far.

-Peter.
pymlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:25 PM   #6

becareful with spot metering. If you are metering on something really bright when you take the shot I can see how its going to be under exposed. Meter on your subject, use the AE-L button to lock it, re-frame and take the shot. See if this helps
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:00 PM   #7

until you know exactly what to meter off of I would suggest sticking to martix and center weighted.... the spot meter has a lot of user error possibilities built into it.*
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:40 AM   #8

I've had my new DS2 for a little over a week, and I find it underexposes, too. I compared it to my Kodak DX7440 digicam, and confirmed it was consistently chossing about a stop less exposure. When I compensated to make the two cameras expose the same at the same ISO, the photoscame out equal (confirming it's just a difference in metering, not a bad sensor). So I just set an exposure compensation on the DS2 of +1.0 stop, and it seems to be working fine.
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote