Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:55 PM   #11

Another thing is the Hyper Program on the D is something people really desire.* After holding and using the D I do perfer its size and ergonomics.* As soon as the D2 comes out I will be switching.* I would have gotten the D but the write speeds on the DS are far higher and that was my main selling advantage to the DS
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:30 AM   #12

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Id be happy if pentax released a 13MP full frame, like the 5d. I still dont know whether or not I want to go Canon, if not just for that.

Cmon pentax, give us the megapixels!

I don't think there will be a full-frame DSLR next year .... people that bought the DA-Lenses would not be too happy .....

Megapixels? Already the 6-MP-resolution is a problem for some lenses. I think features like better and faster image processing (jpg!!!) and higher speed (6400 ISO low-noise:lol are more interesting (at least to me).

But:

Wait and see - next year will be an exciting pentax-year: We'll get SEVERAL new DSLR's
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:53 AM   #13

I like to blow my photos up big - more mps the bigger you can go without loosing sharpness.

I did a A1 with a DS photo, it came out OK but if you look close you can tell. From a metre or so away its acceptable though.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:24 PM   #14

Hi Alfred, I am seriously looking at stepping up to a dslr camera for the first time, and the ist ds2 is at the top of my list. There wasn't much of an upgrade from the ist ds to the ist ds2. This is the second time I have seen you say there are exciting new dslrofferings from Pentaxin 2006. Will there be enough of an upgrade to justify waiting for the new 2006 line, or should I just get a ds2?
Andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:38 PM   #15

Pentax has annouced that they will be producing several new entry and mid-level (d200/EOS-20d) camera in 2006. However, I would say that if the DS2 fits your needs becuase your going to miss a lot of great shots inbetween now and when you can get one of those cameras.

It appears as though the soonest we could expect one is febuary-april.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:02 PM   #16

Although more resolution is a good thing, carefully framed 6MP images will perform more than adequately up to 11" X 14" prints (8" X 10" are very near the ideal 300ppi). I am more interested in value for my money, because I have so little to spend, so the DS2 looks very good to me. The mid level models are usually around twice the cost, and at 8 to 12MP they do provide for cropping and larger prints, but that is still quite a premium to pay for marginally larger prints.

I am leaning toward Pentax because they seem to have retained one important point from their K1000 days, they give great compatibility with older lenses and they lend themselves to simple manual operation. Look at Nikon, they claim a high level of compatibility with their lens mount since it has existed since the 1960s however the fact is that the majority of manual focus lenses out their can only be used with no in-camerametering whatsoever. Pentax allows us to just push a button to set exposure with at least 90% of their own K-mount lenses as well as most older screw mount lenses with an adapter. Yes it uses stop down metering, but at least we have metering. Pentax also seems to be more tolerant to older flash units with a maximum trigger voltage (reported here) of up to 30 volts, only about one fifth of that may fry your Canon!!

All that in a compact form factor which looks good as well. I want a DS2, I would gladly take a DS, I could live with a DL and I would love to have a D. Either way the features I listed still hold. Sounds good to me.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:36 PM   #17

I case anyone is interested, Best Buy (at least in MN and WI) seem to have at least on D left in stock that is new in all of the stores I have visited in the last week.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:15 AM   #18

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
Pentax has annouced that they will be producing several new entry and mid-level (d200/EOS-20d) camera in 2006. However, I would say that if the DS2 fits your needs becuase your going to miss a lot of great shots inbetween now and when you can get one of those cameras.

It appears as though the soonest we could expect one is febuary-april.
hi pic_*ist,

your infos look very simiilar to my infos

The pma will start feb.26 - the photokina on sept.26 - so everybody may imagine when the "official" infos will come.

The first cam will be a "low-end" cam - a D/DS-follow-up will be later - so in this moment Iwould buy a *istDS with FW 2.0.

I would not pay the higher price for the DS2 just to get a larger LCD (with the same resolution as DS). And I would not wait for new cams to appear on the market - If you always wait for the latest models, you'll never get a cam - and miss thousands of chances for great pictures!

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:57 PM   #19

Just checking, is the DL compatible with all of the same lenses that the DS is? I am having a little trouble getting the exact information I need, I am assuming (that can only lead to trouble) that other than the viewfinder system, the autofocus system and the smaller buffer the DL is basically identical to a DS2, with all of the same features and limitations. Image quality "should" be identical.

I am asking because I am now looking at the fact that the DL with the 18-55mm lens is the same price as the DS2 body. Since I do not own a lens wider than 28mm the kit lens is necessary for me to have a workable kit so I can trade off some features as long as I keep the lens compatibility. I seldom use burst mode (present S7000 has a 5 shot limit anyway), I always turn off all of the focus sensors except for the center anyway (old Minolta Maxxum user), and the DL's viewfinder is still better than the other budget dSLRs anyway. Any comments?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 8:46 PM   #20

ira,
everything i've read says you are right. lenses still work.
can't remember where but today i actually saw the ds2 listed for $10 less than the dl.

roy