Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:48 AM   #21

Ira,

you can use all lenses with K / KA / KAF -mount. All Pentax-lenses fit without problems. Some other lenses (like some older Tokinas) do not fit without modification. (The protection-ring is too large, can be changed easily).

I would prefer the DS/DS2 to the DL - DS is the same price, but better cam (more possibilities)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:31 AM   #22

I am still looking and wondering if I can really afford to make this move right now anyway.

I agree that the DS or DS2 are better cameras, if I can findany available at a price I can afford. Camera Canada has them listed (a DS with lens at the same price as a DL with lens, $921) but they currently have none of the DS in stock (will there be more??). Henry's have listings for the DS2 without lens at the same price as a DL with lens ($950Cdn)(no DS and [email protected] with lens includes a much more expensive lens than the usual 18-55). Vistek no longer lists the DS either, they also have the DS2 sans lens at the same $950Cdn price as the DL with lens. Their are precious few Canadian photographic retailers, unless I can come up with a reliable source, with no hidden charges or fees, and good serivce (in Canada so that I do not have issues with duties or import taxes), I seem to be stuck with the DL. Future Shop may have it in one of their stores but not online (nearest store is nearly 4 hours away, not an easy trip during a Newfoundland winter).

Anyone have any suggestions? I would actually prefer the DS, unless the DS2 was just as cheap. I don't want to pay $200 for the 18-55mm lens, and most of the alternatives are even more expensive (unless I can come up with a 19-35mm Phoenix for less, not a great lens but I have it in Minolta mount and it isn't bad).

I think I may have to shelf this plan again until the next round of price reductions. Man it's expensive putting kids through school.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:56 AM   #23

Monza76,

This is the best deal I have seen on the DS2 with the kit lens in Canada @$1029.00. I forgot to mention that downtown camera has a good reputationin Toronto.I didn't get my Pentax from them but I got some other cameras in the past.

http://www.downtowncamera.com/index....amp;subcat=229
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:08 AM   #24

Hi Ira;

Try Henrys eBay store. I bought the Sigma 18-50mm lens which lists in their store at $199 for well under $100 Canadian. Usually they put one of these up for auction each week. I've even seen them won for $50-60 brand new.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:00 AM   #25

pic_*ist wrote:
Quote:
Monza76,

This is the best deal I have seen on the DS2 with the kit lens in Canada @$1029.00. I forgot to mention that downtown camera has a good reputationin Toronto.I didn't get my Pentax from them but I got some other cameras in the past.
Our german shop-price is 699 EUR for the DS-kit with DA 18-55 :blah:

That is appr. CAD 910 ....

edit:

this price includes german VAT (16%) - without tax it is appr: 603 EUR / 785 CAD
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:22 PM   #26

tekade_alfred

I guess that when I can get to it it will be a DS or DS2 that I will get, now for the question, is there any possibility of the split image rangefinder screen reappearing? I would really love one of those, since I already have some nice MF lenses and the really excellent A-series Pentax SMC lenses are usually easy to come by.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:57 PM   #27

ira,

it seems that the split image id available right now. i'm sure i've seen it somewhere.

how about it alfred?? is it available?????
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:06 AM   #28

Quote:
is there any possibility of the split image rangefinder screen reappearing? I would really love one of those, since I already have some nice MF lenses and the really excellent A-series Pentax SMC lenses are usually easy to come by.
I have a couple of A-lenses, and dont find it to hard using MF with the standard screen. You can also have the DS tell you when you have focus (the red focus-spot will light up).

However, if only for nostalgic reasons I would like to have one of those split screens too :-)

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:56 AM   #29

robar wrote:
Quote:
ira,

it seems that the split image id available right now. i'm sure i've seen it somewhere.

how about it alfred?? is it available?????

robar,

we don't have anymore split-image screens this moment. If we start a new series will depend on the new cams next year (if they support changeable screens or not). We sold quite a lot of those screens so that the "old" prospects, thatwanted a sreeen have got one.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:39 AM   #30

Iam not 100% sure if we are refering to the same thing. However cats eyes just released a new focusing screen for the *ist D-series and it sounds like what you want.
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote