Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1

The Pentax *istD is over 2 yrs old but is still selling for about $1100. The newer DS DS2 and DL are in the $700-800 range. Why is the original istD still so high? Is it a substantially better camera than the others? It has the same megapixels, battery, etc. Shouldn't the price have come down? It takes CF cards rather than SD and the ones I have seen have an 18-35 lens as opposed to the 18-55. Any thoughts?
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2

i'm pretty sure the D has been discontinued. i'd like to be able to use a cf card but that's life. you'll be happy w/whatever ist you get.. image quality is the same..
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:22 AM   #3

I like SD. They are nice and small :lol:
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Thanks -I believe the D is no longer being made but I can get a remaining new one at a very good price. My question is - especially if itis discontinued, why is the regular price about 1100-1200? Is it better than the DS, etc? Often discontinued cameras are reduced in price.
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

by all means get the D. images are the same and the D is suppose to be a little more handy at making settings. don't really know. i like the way the ds is setup because all the settings don't mean diddily to me as i always shoot in raw.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:32 PM   #6

The "D" is still on their wed site at http://www.pentaximaging.com/product..._slr/index.jsp
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 7:39 PM   #7

The DS has some performance advantages over the D because of improvements made in technology over the time between models. The analogy here is like the Nikon D100, D70 issue, the D70 overshadowed the D100 but the D100 had many features that appealed to the more professional user. The *ist D has the following "advantages" (you be the judge):

1/ It has two control wheels, in normal operation, one at the front controls aperture, one at the rear controls shutter speed (or vice versa).

3/ It has more buttons so that features like WB can be set without resorting to the menu system.

4/ It has an availableportrait grip and battery pack to extend shooting time and allow vertical operation with full control.

5/ It has a pc flash terminal for studio flash units.

6/ It uses CF cards which offer more options for professional users (although the card slot is not very well designed).

If the price had dropped (back to the Nikon analogy, the D100 never dropped to the D70 price range either) I would definitely take the D over the DS (wouldn't consider the DL since this would give up the penta prism for a penta mirror) even though the DS has some advantages in continuous shooting, since it offers a more "camera like" interface compared to the more "computer like" menu driven system in the DS, DL, DS2.

That is all I know for sure, hope it helps.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:22 PM   #8

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
The DS has some performance advantages over the D because of improvements made in technology over the time between models. The analogy here is like the Nikon D100, D70 issue, the D70 overshadowed the D100 but the D100 had many features that appealed to the more professional user. The *ist D has the following "advantages" (you be the judge):

1/ It has two control wheels, in normal operation, one at the front controls aperture, one at the rear controls shutter speed (or vice versa).

3/ It has more buttons so that features like WB can be set without resorting to the menu system.

4/ It has an availableportrait grip and battery pack to extend shooting time and allow vertical operation with full control.

5/ It has a pc flash terminal for studio flash units.

6/ It uses CF cards which offer more options for professional users (although the card slot is not very well designed).

If the price had dropped (back to the Nikon analogy, the D100 never dropped to the D70 price range either) I would definitely take the D over the DS (wouldn't consider the DL since this would give up the penta prism for a penta mirror) even though the DS has some advantages in continuous shooting, since it offers a more "camera like" interface compared to the more "computer like" menu driven system in the DS, DL, DS2.

That is all I know for sure, hope it helps.

Ira
well said monza!! only thing the ds lacks that i'd love to have over the d is cf cards and a dA** pc connection
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:48 PM   #9

Listen, despite what I said, I would take any of the Pentax digitals. The D would top my list (since burst mode is not a big issue for me) and the DL would take the bottom spot, but I would take either. Pentax is the only Digital SLR company to allow real use for all of its old lenses, not just the crippled modes available to Nikon users for their old lenses (if they work at all).

Well, I am still counting my pennies.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:09 PM   #10

Id be happy if pentax released a 13MP full frame, like the 5d. I still dont know whether or not I want to go Canon, if not just for that.

Cmon pentax, give us the megapixels!
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote