Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:16 PM   #1

I got the camera 2 days ago and was playing with some old lenses I have.
The last one, old Sears 70-200 didn't turn all the way in and it's stuck!
I dont want to force it and can't figure a way to take it out short of taking apart the whole camera.
If somebody had the same problem, please, any ideas are welcomed.
Thanks!

Three hours later....
I tried everything, thin plastic, old razor, even went to Autozone for feeler gauge - the darned pin didn't move at all.
My guess is that Sears lenses are even worse than Ricoh, another poster here had to break his.
So after 3 hours of trying to move it I decided to cut the thing – with the thinnest of the gauges it took me less than 2 minutes to free the lens!!!
And on top of everything the camera is OK.
The Sears lens will make for a nice target at the range tomorrow.

mitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

Do a search here. Someone had this same problem with an old Ricoh lens
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:54 AM   #3

mitko wrote:
Quote:
The Sears lens will make for a nice target at the range tomorrow.
congrats!!!
need some help??
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:44 AM   #4

Beware of all third party manual focus lenses with an A or P setting on the aperture ring, many were designed for the Pentax A-series cameras and the Ricoh P-series, unfortunately that made them incompatible with AF Pentax bodies. The rule of thumb is easy:

1/ K-mount without an A or P on the aperture ring should be safe regardless of brand.

2/ Pentax or Takumar lenses ahould all work.

3/ AF lenses for Pentax should work regardless of manufacturer.

Avoid all MF third party lenses with A or P settings on the aperture ring, including those from Ricoh. A variation in the Ricoh P series lenses (and third party replacements) make them incompatible with AF Pentax because a pin and a depression will lock together causing problems with removal. Some people have modified their old lenses to make them work but I wouldn't bother since replacements which work are available cheap used.

I use older Ricoh lenses (and Sears lenses) with no A or P settings without any problems.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:10 AM   #5

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:

1/ K-mount without an A or P on the aperture ring should be safe regardless of brand.

Some older lenses may damage the body (old tokinas) with a too large protection-ring. (can be changed easily)

Before testing an old lens in a new body just compare EXACTLY with an original lens - if there are differences .... be VERY careful....
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 4:17 AM   #6

Thanks tekade_alfredI didn't know that.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7

Mitko has not been back, I wonder if he got it off his camera?
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

Update!
The Sears lens is off the camera, when I finally realized it can't be released with the filler gages and suffered dozens of deep cuts (some of those gages are really thin!) I decided to cut the pin - it took me less than 3 minutes with the 051mm and 063mm gages to do it.
If you ever need to do it, it's at 4 a clock position looking at the camera from the front, you can fill it with the gage. Just be careful not to cut yourself as I did.
The pin is less than 1mm thick. If possible hold the camera lens down so the metal shavings go in to the lens, not in the body.
Once the pin is cut the lens unscrews right away.
Never tried to put it back, I wanted to destroy it at the range, but my hands are so badly cut it's gona be a while. Meantime my 17 month boy is fascinated with it and is banging it on the wall as I write this.
mitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:29 PM   #9

I was at a second hand store yesterday and tried an off brand lens on my camera. It worked great but wouldn't come off! I bought it for 12 bucks, stopped at the auto parts store and got a feeler guage. Took about 10 minutes to figure out where to stick the feeler. Once off I took the lens apart and removed the pin. The lens now works great. Super sharp 28 mm macro. Happy ending. Besides I had a great excuse for buying the lens. I didn't have a choice.
prevost is offline   Reply With Quote