Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:42 AM   #1

I just began using a Pentax ist D SLR with an 18-35 mm lens. When I look at some - but not all - of my pictures on my monitor, I see when I magnify them a little bit a small white irregular dot in the same relative position. Does that mean a bad pixel - it's a brand new camera! I put the lens on when the camera arrived and have not taken it off, so dust accumulation seems unlikely, but then I am new to SLRs. Genearlly the picture quality is good and I need to look at every picture but the dot stood out immediatley on several. Any ideas?
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

Might be a dead pixel - stuck on all the time. If its just the one I think its classed acceptible and wont be replaced.

if there are 3 or more it should be replaced.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:58 AM   #3

Thanks. As I look closely, the dot appears to be transparent spot on the picture. Is that characteristic of a dead pixel or a dust? Might the dust be on the outside of the lens?
zona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 10:14 AM   #4

Give the lens a clean with a good lens cloth and if you have a blower, give the sensor a quick blow.

If its dust it is ususally larger than a few pixels.

Also spots on the lens/dust should only show up clear if you are shooting with a small apeture - wider apeture you wont see it.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:20 AM   #5

try here. i use it and its time now
http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2...de=DIGI-KIT4-F
here's another place
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

i had a bad spot on the sensor since purchase. i sent it in and they removed the spot but the sensor was still dirty when i got it back. don't tell pentax you've done anything but used air blower as they will void the warranty.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:46 AM   #6

here's my sensor after a swabbing. don't get the shakes too bad when you do this the first time.. most people do- i for one..
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7

take a pic of the blue sky at a small aperture to ck yours for dust..
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:56 AM   #8

First time swabbing was quite scary. But think about it, the filter in front of the sensor is glass. Its pretty hard to scratch glass with a soft swab.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:57 PM   #9

the first and second time i still had the shakes. the sensor now is cleaner than when i got it back from pentax.. go figure..