Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:24 PM   #1

I posted a question in the memory section, and some tol dme to come here with my question. I'll explain.

I just got a DS2 and need a memory card for it. I asked about write speeds in the memory section, and some said that a good write speed depends on the camera. I'll agree, and as you Pentax folks this question...

Which write speed (ie. 4x,66x,133x etc...) card would be a good companion with my camera? I'm planning to get a high speed one, but if its not needed, then I'll get something lesser.

Anyone tested and have results that I might draw some information off of?

Thanks for your time!

-Rob
Rbothell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:21 PM   #2

If you shooting JPEG any will really be fine. Same for RAW - unless you are doing alot of burst shots, especially bursting with RAW.

The camera can buffer them for quite a while but you will find if you are shooting raw and bursting it make take a while to catch up with you. You can still continue taking photos while its writing though.

Just get the fastest you can, it will make it better for when you transfer them to and from your computer
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:55 AM   #3

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Just get the fastest you can, it will make it better for when you transfer them to and from your computer
Not always is the fastest card better - check the warranty-time: the longer the better!

Most import is the reliability of a card: I would never use a no-name for important pictures, if wouldn't have tested it at least for half a year.

Another aspect: Faster cards need have a higher power-consumption
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:57 AM   #4

My thoughts:

Bought a Legend 1 Gb card. Price rel cheap. It works well. I notice the price here is plunging for 1 Gb or less. I'd certainly go for cheaper card. Get a couple! Cardsbigger than 1 Gb are far too expensive at this time, although I suspect in a couple of years we will regard 1 Gb as hopelessly small. Also transfer speed to computer should not be an issue as long as you are using USB 2 not USB 1.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up with a San Disc Extreme III 1 gig card. The price was a little over $100, and they're offering a $20 mail in rebate. So for 80 buckets, I hope to have gotten a good card.

If interested, I'll let ya'll know how it works with my camera when I get to play with it.

Rbothell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6

Ditto.

Just had a cheapy fail ... Never had any card fail ever! There was a testshowing how it was about impossible to make a card fail (seems they tested major brands, which were probably all that was out then), so that must've been some major crap quailty.

I have a SandDisk Ultra II. Clearly records faster, tried back to back on burst!

Just imagine going on a once in a lifetime trip to Dreseden in Alfred's country and losing the data

tekade_alfred wrote:

Quote:
errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Not always is the fastest card better - check the warranty-time: the longer the better!

Most import is the reliability of a card: I would never use a no-name for important pictures, if wouldn't have tested it at least for half a year.

Another aspect: Faster cards need have a higher power-consumption
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:43 AM   #7

I have a Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb and a Sandisk Extreme III 1Gb. No speed difference in any situation. I did a testtiming write speedsduringbursts in RAW and JPEG, and also timed the transfer to PC.

I didn't feel so bad about the extra $ I spent on the Extreme III until I borrowed a Kingston 512Mb (half the price of the Ultra II - comparing the 1Gb versions) from work and found that it was not slower than either of my two cards.

flee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:07 AM   #8

That tells us that the camera is the bottleneck not the speed of the card.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:14 AM   #9

I have a Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb and a Sandisk 1Gb regular speed and the Ultra is much faster than the regular Sandisk 1Gb card in my DS.

I have a 60x card and a 100x card and I really don't see any difference between them in the camera.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:59 AM   #10

flee wrote:
Quote:
I have a Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb and a Sandisk Extreme III 1Gb. No speed difference in any situation. I did a testtiming write speedsduringbursts in RAW and JPEG, and also timed the transfer to PC.

I didn't feel so bad about the extra $ I spent on the Extreme III until I borrowed a Kingston 512Mb (half the price of the Ultra II - comparing the 1Gb versions) from work and found that it was not slower than either of my two cards.

.... so save the money and buy a second card instead !!! :-)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote