Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:27 PM   #11

I will second What Robar said. I recently Bought a Flash for my Ds. I looked several Brands of Flashs and IMO the Sigma EF 500 DG ST was the best for the money.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:03 PM   #12

I am in total agreement here, the new Sigma EF500 DG ST is cheaper than the DG Super. Both will do the job.

The NEWSigma EF500 DG ST is P-TTL, it is branded all over the outside of the box.

I tried a few different things with my DG ST to see if I could over-expose theimage and literally I was able to photograph from 2ft with the flash even closer and no over exposure.

The Sigma DG ST is about $ 135 - $150US

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Sigma_EF...ash_For_Pentax
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:08 AM   #13

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
TO all: Pentax just returned my *istDL with a comments which says that the *istDL is not compatible with older flash units even if those flashes are TTL capable. They claim that I need to use the new FGZ series of flashesfor the TTL exposure to work correctly. The FGZ series specifically says that it is compatible with the *istD series of cameras. Guess I have to cough up an additional $200 for a flash now!
The DL will make correct exposure only with 2 flashes: pentax 360FGZ and sigma 500 SuperDG. (and maybe the 540FGZ in future)

All other flashes will over- or underexposure. With those flashes it's better not to use TTL, but set exposure to "manual" and either use an external sensor (old name "computer-flash") or calculate it (guide-number / distance = aperture)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:34 AM   #14

I am quite happy to stick with my old Vivitar 285 with the camera set on M. The cost of the P-TTL units are hard to justify when the Vivitar gives me the same level of control (and decent exposure accuracy) with no further expenditures. I realize the P-TTL units give great convenience (extreme simplicity), and very accurate exposures, but I can't miss what I never had.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:28 AM   #15

ira,
i'm curious. have you tried the 285 as a macro flash?? that's where i use the flash the most. i had a hard time and missed images using my manual v3500.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:55 PM   #16

robar,

I do not own a true macro lens yet, as a result I haven't really tried it. Given the location of the sensor I would say it would do poorly. If macro is your thing P_TTL may be the only way to go (unless you can find a flash sensor that will fit on the lens rim).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:33 AM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks for the good discussion points! I was under the impression that the Sigma DG Super was the only model that would work with the DS-L. If indeed the Sigma DG works as well, what then are the differences between the DG and the DG -Super (besides the $100 in price)?

Having listened to all the opinions, I am now contemplating if I should pull out my old Vivitar 2800 (1980's vintage) Thyristor flash and use it in either the auto or manual settings by setting the aperture manually on the camera? Beats the $225 for the Sigma DG Super.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:20 AM   #18

Sigma DG Super incorporates Wireless flash Capability, slave flash capability among other things

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:13 PM   #19

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Well, I sorung the $200 and got a Sigma 500 DG Super. The exposures are perfect at all distances (near and far). I was dissapointed though that the wireless capability is not supported by the *istDL's built in flash. In order to use the Sigma's wireless capability, one needs to have a second wireless capable flash. I agree that I could have gotten the less expensive model of this flash...but you know sometimes it feels good to have the gadgets with all the options vs. a stripped down version. Thanks again to all who provided input! J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:15 PM   #20

how wel does it do taking macros??
another ??. how well does it do at high speed sync?? can you flash sync at say 1/2000sec??

roy