Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:30 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

:?I recently purchased the *istDL. In using an external Pentax dedicated flash (Sunpack MZ440AF) however, I notice that at close range (i.e. 2-10 feet), pictures are over-exposed. The only way to get normal exposures at this range is to bounce the flash off the ceiling or use a difuser (to reduce the light output). Is this normal for the DL or is the camera supposed to use the P-TTL technology to automatically adjust the exposure to provide a normal exposure. While I have not tried using the flash outside (for fill-in purposes), I fear it will result in overexposed shots. Initerestingly, when I use the built in flash unit, exposures are OK.

I do not believe the problem is with my flash since I do not havethe sameissue on my Pentax film camera (ZX-L) when using the same flash unit. Also, I have a Quantary Pentax dedicated flash unit that displays the same symptoms on the DL.

Would appreciate some feedback on this issue. Thanks.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:41 PM   #2

show us the bottom terminals on the flash
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:10 PM   #3

i just checked and that flash uses the same cords and adapters as the ist uses,
F5P.
i'd think it should work. anyway for off camera work takes three pieces of hardware that cost $106 at B&H. i just picked them up on ebay for $50del..
ck the flash manual.
also you can use flash compensation..
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:17 PM   #4

There are 4 terminals on the bottom of this flash and they match the position of the contact points on the camera. I continue to have over exposed pictures at close range. It appears that flash output in the MZ440 does not change with the ambient light.

On a related subject, I noticed that the green AUTO OK light on the flash does not light up when the flash is discharged. Is this some how related?

Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:05 AM   #5

I use an older Sigma flash on my *istDS and my shots seemed to be over exposed too.

After experimention I set couple of stops of flash exposure compensation and this seems to produce acceptable results.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:03 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply. I continued to experiment with my Sigma flash and found that use of the flash outdoors (as a fill in) seems to produce normal (good) exposures. The problem now seems to be confined to the use of the flash indoors.

I would like to hear more feedback from other users re. their experience with external flashes and the *istDL.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:22 AM   #7
KVP

Just as a feedback: from my side I own an *istDS and I have quite the same phenomenon with my external flash, a Vivitar Series 1 600 which performed very good on my old Pentax film camera. Didn't have the opportunity however to play with the settings, it was used in automatic mode. The green AUTO OK light on the flashlights up when the flash is discharged, so exposure should be OK.

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:56 PM   #8

I took my *istDL and flash unit to a local camera store and demonstrated the results. The salesperson stated that he was aware of this condition and it was caused by the incompatibility of the older generation P-TTL flash vs. the newer digital cameras. Even though theflash was Pentax dedicated (TTL), apparently there is someincompatibility with the circuitry in the digital SLRs. I do not know enough about the details to judge if his assessment was accurate.

He recommended that I get a flash that was specifically designed for digital SLR applications. He was aware of similar problems on other major makes of digital SLRs when used with flash units manufactured in the 2001-2003 time frame. Apparently these issues were resolved with the use of a newer digital compatible flash.

Thanks all for your feedback. If I choose to get a Pentax brand digital flash, I will report on the results.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 1:16 PM   #9

TO all: Pentax just returned my *istDL with a comments which says that the *istDL is not compatible with older flash units even if those flashes are TTL capable. They claim that I need to use the new FGZ series of flashesfor the TTL exposure to work correctly. The FGZ series specifically says that it is compatible with the *istD series of cameras. Guess I have to cough up an additional $200 for a flash now!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:57 PM   #10

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
TO all: Pentax just returned my *istDL with a comments which says that the *istDL is not compatible with older flash units even if those flashes are TTL capable. They claim that I need to use the new FGZ series of flashesfor the TTL exposure to work correctly. The FGZ series specifically says that it is compatible with the *istD series of cameras. Guess I have to cough up an additional $200 for a flash now!
this is correct. the DL does not support TTL. i read that if your are using a TTL then you may get good results except at close and long range.
my DS works just fine from macro to 100' using older TTL flashes. sometimes for macro work i to use a - ex value tho. using the DL you must use a P-TLL flash.

if you are buying a P-TTL flash i think i'd go for the sigma instead of the pentax.

roy