Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:25 AM   #1

I'm having a problem with understanding what Im actually looking at when using the depth of field preview? Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated, thanks in advance!
coastrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2

DOF preview stops the apeture down to the F-stop you have dialed in on the display or apeture ring.

The higher the f-stop, the larger depth of field (area of acceptable sharpness) and using DOF preview to stop the lens down to that apeture width will allow you to see how much depth of field (ie, how much is in focus).
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:47 PM   #3

coastrod wrote:
Quote:
I'm having a problem with understanding what Im actually looking at when using the depth of field preview? Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated, thanks in advance!
coastrod,
the problem with is is that when you stopdown the aperture the light can get very dim at the smaller apertures. you are going to have to use it to get use to what exactly you are seeing.. ity's really tough at first but in time it will help you. here's a shot i set up without the birds. the first post is about 8' away and the last is about 30' away. checking dof with the lens i needed to focus on the 2nd post to get the whole field of view in focus at f16. hope this helps..
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:50 PM   #4

actually i could have done this better by using alarger ap that only put Just the posts in focus and not the background.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:14 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replys. I will just have to play around with the preview a lot more. The one good thing about digital you can play around and not have to worry about burning film.
coastrod is offline   Reply With Quote