Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:41 PM   #1

Does anyone know if the ccd is sensible to invisible light in the way that analog film is? I would like to put a skylight or uv filter on front of my lenses for protection, but the question is wether to coose uv or skylight. If the ccd isn't sensible to uv light, then a skylight filter might be the better choice.

Any idea, anyone?:?

bilybianca

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

either is fine. just use a quality one.
recently i received on a lens from ebay a sunpac uv & CP.
i put it on the ds and told my wife i'd like to show her the difference in a cheap filter and a really good filter. i held up the ds w/sunpac and my s7000 and asked if she could see the diff. she replied '' yes, but the fuji doesn't have a filter on it''.
sure it did and i tapped the surface of a high end hoya that is clear and non-reflective as air.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:58 PM   #3

I know with film cameras that a skylight filter will indeed block out a lot of blue. I keep a UV filter on my digitalPanasonicFZ20 at all times to protect the primary (front) lense from scratches, and Ihave no problem with color rendition with the UV filter. I don`t know if a skylight will affect color renditon on a digital camera.

I have to hold off on buying a DS, lense/`s/ anddedicated flash,right now `cause my job situation is nowreally "shaky". Hopefully, the new year wll be brighter work wise!

S`later, JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 4:21 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if the ccd is sensible to invisible light in the way that analog film is? I would like to put a skylight or uv filter on front of my lenses for protection, but the question is wether to coose uv or skylight. If the ccd isn't sensible to uv light, then a skylight filter might be the better choice.

Any idea, anyone?

hi, bilybianca,

skylight is (very) slightly red, uv is clear, If you use a digicam in "auto-white-balance" mode, the camera will filter away the difference.

If you use manual WB, you might see a little difference, but you must look VERY, VERY intensively to see the difference!
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote