Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:05 PM   #1

Howdy,
I have an old K-1000, haven't picked it up in years.

Would the lens work on one of the *ist dSLR's
Thanks
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:20 PM   #2

can't remember if that has screw mount but it doesn't matter as all + many more of pentax lenses will work. you might have to get a $15 adapter tho..

in other words--YES
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

can't remember if that has screw mount but it doesn't matter as all + many more of pentax lenses will work. you might have to get a $15 adapter tho..

in other words--YES
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:34 PM   #4

Yes, your lens should fit.

Be sure it is not a Ricoh lens though! I had one get stuck and almost broke the camera getting it back off.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:08 PM   #5

not all Ricoh lenses have this problem though.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:04 PM   #6

The mount is the same, but if the lens on the K-1000 is the original SMC lens, it will not work with the auto settings on the *istD series. If it has an "A" setting on the aperature F-stop setting, it will.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:24 AM   #7

I have a KM which is almost identical to the K1000. I use my lenses in manual mode on my DS. My main reason for getting a Pentax digital SLR!
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:30 PM   #8

One warning, avoid third party lenses with a P setting on the aperture ring, they are likely to get stuck. Most early Rikenon KR, or the better XR, lenses will work but be careful. I have a Rikenon XR 135mm f2.8 and a Rikenon XR 28mm f2.8 and they both work fine on my friends DS (I don't have one yet). I have also tried an old Sears (Samyang) 80-200mm f4lens (no A or P setting) and it works fine as well. I have one Sears (Samyang) 28-70 with a P-setting which I wouldn't dare try.

The main issue here has to do with the Ricoh method of creating an automatic setting on their lenses. It is not like the A-series Pentax lenses, instead it uses a contact which gets snagged on the AF drive on the Pentax body (correct me here if I am wrong). There may be other issues with some lenses but this is the biggest problem recorded.

Ira

BTW Except for a very early model K (1950s) any pentax with a K designation uses the K mount (these are the original K-mount cameras). They include the KM, KX, K2, motor drive variations of these models and of course the very stripped down K1000. The other models were replaced by the ultra compactM-series cameras (ME, ME-Super, MX, MV, MV-1, MGand the MEF autofocus model) and lenses (the fantastic LX was also introduced around 1980 as a close relative to the M-series) these were replaced by the A/P series cameras (with full program exposure and A-series lenses) and then AF models.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:21 PM   #9

I have a Ricoh XR-M and a couple of Ricoh P lenses. I recently bought an *ist DS2 and wanted to use my Ricoh P 50mm F1.4 lens with it, but had heard similar warnings about the P lenses getting stuck. I read on a forum that, when stuck, the P lenses could be removed with the use of a fine feeler gauge inserted about the 4 o'clock position to push the spring-loaded pin in and free the lens - but I still hesitated to risk it with my new DS2. I ran across another forum thread that said the pin could be ground down or removed. I didn't want to grind it and ruin the lens for possible use in the Ricoh again, but decided to try removing the pin myself. I took off the 4 screws holding the back mounting plate on the lens and lifted it off carefully, so as not to dislodge the parts (aperture ring lock, etc.) underneath. The pin was then easily removed with a careful grip and saved in a small baggie. The cover went back on easily and the whole process took less than 5 minutes. The lens goes on and off the DS2 a little tighter than the Pentax lenses, but does not get hung up, and I am able to use it in either aperture priority program or manual mode. It is your decision, of course, if you want to risk ruining a good lens, but I was glad that I took the risk. See attachment for the first picture I took with it on my DS2.
Attached Images

zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:59 PM   #10

zeeman,

thanks for that info. I have been hesitant to grind on my lens also. But I have not used that lens for some time, so maybe I will try to remove by dissasembly rather than by friction.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote