Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:03 PM   #11

Gumnut, no this is a fixed lens digicam now available.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:43 AM   #12

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
BTW German label or not, the lens shown is almost identical to the Pentax 18-55mm.
I think it IS a pentax-lens, but all lenses on SAMSUNG-cams get the Label "Schneider"....

But Schneider produced phantastic lenses (Curtagon, Xenon, ....) - so let's hope they remember that!

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Cancel that, just got a DL for Christmas, I must have been a very good boy this year.
Or no one recognized you really..... :lol:

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:44 PM   #13

The Samsung-Pentax cooperation is good news to me, almost regardless of the outcome, since this will help Pentax stay in the consumer dSLR market - and hence assure that my investment in K-mount lenses will not become obsolete

BTW: are Schneider-Kreuznach still a production company - or is it just a label with a glorious past, such as Voigtländer and others? Logically, one would assume that in the Samsung-Pentax cooperation, Samsung would be in charge of the electronic parts and Pentax of the optics - much like the Panasonic-Leica cooperation. Makes sense to me, from a marketing point of view, if Pentax are the real manufacturers of the so-called Kreuznach - even though they dont have any real reasonnot to stand by their own name:-)

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:36 PM   #14

Okay - should have checked that out before asking:

According to http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/index.htmthe company is still very much alive. However, all the products they are showing, are for high-end, large format cameras.

I still wonder if they are actually manufacturingthe consumer grade optics, such as those used in Kodak snapshot cameras,thatthey put their name on?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:26 AM   #15

lkch wrote:
Quote:
Okay - should have checked that out before asking:

According to http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/index.htmthe company is still very much alive. However, all the products they are showing, are for high-end, large format cameras.

I still wonder if they are actually manufacturingthe consumer grade optics, such as those used in Kodak snapshot cameras,thatthey put their name on?
As far as I know, the "high-end-lenses" (large formats, tv-lenses etc.) are produced in germany - the "low-end" is produced anywhere and only labeled.

But: Years ago Schneider had really great 35mm-lenses (I have several M42-Schneider-lenses and they are really good) -I hope they did not forget how to make them....
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:25 PM   #16

I see that they have acuired the old VEB Pentacon,a company with a proud heritage in 35mmSLR's, now sadly reduced to a label on point-and-shoot digitals.

But who knows - this might be a sign, that they are planning to become a serious player in 35 mm again? Personally I would love to see their know-how and tradition used in making lenses for the K-mount....

Lars
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:29 PM   #17

Well, www.pricegrabber.com is not showing any Samsung dSLR models as of 12/29/2005.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:46 AM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Well, http://www.pricegrabber.com is not showing any Samsung dSLR models as of 12/29/2005.

MT

As I wrote before, the samsung-dslr will come end of march 2006 (and therefore not listed now ....)
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:41 AM   #19

Thanks for the reply, Alfred. I will be on the lookout for the new Samsung dSLR. I am sure that will be quite a few new digital cameras introduced this coming spring.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:35 AM   #20

Rebadged Pentax lens or not... this is exciting news. If Samsung uses the Pentax bodies and mechanicals with their own imaging hardware and firmware, this could be a very different animal. Remember that the Fuji S2 and the Nikon D100 were both based on the Nikon N80/F80 body but each company took its own route with the digital side of the device, the result was two very different cameras.

A Cypress 9MP chip is hinted at, that alone could be interesting.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote