Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:36 PM   #1

Hey, look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/default.mspx

RAW thumbnails in Windows XP now available! –if you use... When will it be for Pentax-users? Can someone with the right connetions tell the Pentax management that the best stuff isn't enough, that there will have to be some marketing efforts and some customer post purchase care included! Another example how "the others" can make second-best look like the natural choice!:evil:

I'll still go on with my Pentax-gear though, patiently waiting as my C/N-friends smile behind my back...

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:33 PM   #2

Same thing with Apple's Aperture- it wont work with Pentax RAW files...........PETITION!
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:00 PM   #3

The best thing Pentax could do would probably be to abandon their own proprietary RAW-format in favor of a standard like DNG. Since Samsung already supports DNG, this might be one of the positive outcomes of the new cooperation.

Meanwhile, I suggest using either Pixmantec Rawshooter (free), Adobe Album (in the version that comes with Photoshop Elements 4) or Adobe Bridge (comes with Photoshop CS2) - in functionality, they are all way above MS RAW thumbnails anyway...

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:13 PM   #4

CS2 and Bridge user- but saddened that Apple didn't think highly enough of the Pentax *ist line that they don't support Pentax' RAW file type.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:24 PM   #5

if you want to view your ram files as thumbnails. go here and d/l dp magic. get the community version. its free and lets you view as thumbnails.

http://www.dpmagic.com/products.html
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:32 AM   #6

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hey, look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/default.mspx

RAW thumbnails in Windows XP now available! –if you use... When will it be for Pentax-users?

Hi Kjell,

as far as I know Pentax did not offer the raw-interface to M$. So they don't support Pentax-raws....

But you can use IRFAN-VIEW in WINDOWS XP as a "Standard-viewer" - Irfan View supports Pentax-raws and shows thumbnails - and is (for personal use) FREE
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:01 AM   #7

lkch wrote:
Quote:
The best thing Pentax could do would probably be to abandon their own proprietary RAW-format in favor of a standard like DNG. Since Samsung already supports DNG, this might be one of the positive outcomes of the new cooperation.

Meanwhile, I suggest using either Pixmantec Rawshooter (free), Adobe Album (in the version that comes with Photoshop Elements 4) or Adobe Bridge (comes with Photoshop CS2) - in functionality, they are all way above MS RAW thumbnails anyway...

Lars

Hi, neighbour!

I am totally with you on your idea of Pentax adopting DNG as their RAW format. The problem is not the idea, but the fact that you and I are not decision-makers at Pentax Corporation

If Pentax listened to me, they'd do the following:

Make their products avalilable. I e-mailed Pentax Scandinavia and asked where I could hold and compare the DS and DL. The answer was - nowhere in Sweden! To actually see and hold a DS I would have to drive some 100 k's south to Malmo, and to do the same with a DL I would have to go 150 k's in the other direction to Nassjo. If I would like to get a N orC i could just go to my nearby tiny little town and buy it in any of the four or five shops for electronic devices we have there. Fortunately my brother-in-law bought a DS so I could try that one. It proved to be what I expected and hoped, and so I could finally order one for myself, knowing what I was about to get. Is this the way marketing is taught in business school?

Secondly they would start developing new lenses of the same unbeatable quality as the ones I have used and loved for the last twenty years.

Thirdly they would develop a high-end camera body without all the tingle-tangle that was introduced together with auto-focus: pop-up flash, "don't think for yourself-preset programming", plastic buttons for this and that. Just a camera that would go in pair with the high-end lenses.

And lastly, understand that digital photo is just as much about software as about optics and mechanics. Go find a partner!

And that takes us back to the topic. I wouldn't use Windows thumbnails to edit my pictures, I just find it very convenient to use the "show as miniatures" option to organise my picture library. I like pictures, and I think that the easiest way to find one for a specific purpose is to look for it, not to remember a tag or a filing system. And that is what my N/C friends can do, as the feel smart and modern thinking of their stubborn Pentaxaddicted friend.

Kjell

bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:00 PM   #8

Hello Kjell

Apart from the last bit, I totally agree with you. When I bought my DS I was quite convinced that this was what I wanted. But just to be 110% shure, I wanted to compare it against the Canon 350D. There were plenty of shops carrying the 350D here in Copenhagen. But to find one with a DS on the shelves was very complicated.

I'm not sure who's to blame. I made enquiries for the DS in a large camera store, just to find out that they didn't even know that Pentax was producing dSLR's. A lot of stores seem unable to se past C in the alphabet - and if they are, they stop at N anyway...

On the other hand, I clearly remember how Pentax made a fool of themselves in Scandinavia, by running a bizarre 1980-style sexists advertisements in magazines such as the Swedish "Foto". Who do they actually try to target?

Pentax are definitely not realizing their full potential in the dSLR market. A no-nonsense camera, with emphasis on basic issues such as a god viewfinder, decent build quality, intuitive handling and high quality optics should appeal to alarge segment of the market.

Lets hope the cooperation with Samsung will form a basis for a strenghtened effort in that direction.

And back to the topic: If all you want to do is browse through your pictures, the software that came with the DS should in fact do the job. As far as I remember it before it was wiped of my harddisc, this was about the only thing it did well.

Yours

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:33 PM   #9

I totally agree......Pentax needs to advertise the "*ist" series of dslr's more agresively- they are super easy to use and have "Child Photo" modes etc......this is the perfect "soccer mom" camera and they don't seem to advertise it as a fool-prrof entry DSLR.....maybe that's why they're so affordable- very little advertising dollars spent- who knows......but I do know everyone seems to know about the Nikon D50 and Canon Rebel's......Pentax needs to step up to the plate and "push" these Pentax models.They also should push the fact that they're compatible from old age to new lenses. I wish I were running Pentax- you'd see it advertised allot more aggresively.(and they need to change the name- the *ist is a marketing horror- from web searches to pronouncing it- who wants a camera they don't even know how to pronounce or inquire about at a seller.....give it a better name and I bet some slaes would result just on that point alone)
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:58 PM   #10

tekade_alfred wrote:
Quote:

But you can use IRFAN-VIEW in WINDOWS XP as a "Standard-viewer" - Irfan View supports Pentax-raws and shows thumbnails - and is (for personal use) FREE
Hi Tekade_Alfred

I have Irfanview 3.95 and cannot open Pentax raw files with it. The list of changes since that version do not include support for Pentax raw.
dmau58 is offline   Reply With Quote