Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:46 AM   #1

I have just bought a new DSLR on behalf of the museum i work at. I was much attempted to by a istDS similar to my own, but for several reasons, I decided upon a Nikon D50.

The D50 is one of the cheapest DSLR's around. In a number of aspects it isinferior to the istDS - but it will fullfill our needs.

However, compared to my istDS the D50 clearly excells in one aspect: AF speed.

The D50 with the 18-55 kit-zoom is ultra-fast, and seems to find focus under any conditions, including a dimly lit livingroom.

Today it isa cloudy winters day in Denmark. I have just shot a series of pictures in my garden with the D50 and with the istDS - the last one with a Sigma 18-125zoom as well as a Pentax SMC F 50/1.7.The Sigma was considerably slowerthan the D50 - and even worse: aimed atnaked branches of a tree against a grey sky, it was regularly not able to find focus at all! The 50/1.7was somewhat faster - but still not nearly as fast as the Nikon.

The difference between the Sigma and the Pentax SMC-F tells me, that its not only the camera, but allso the lens that matters in this respect. Compared to the very light and plasticky AF-S Nikkor, the Sigma is more solidly build - and also more heavy.Probablya harder job to turn for an AF-motor. But the SMC-F should not be a problem in this respect, and even with this, the istDS is slower.

I have seen rumours on the net, that the AF of the D50 might be fast, but also not as precise as that of other cameras. It might be true -I havent done any systematic check on that.

I remember, how my istDS feltvery fast and responsive,when I moved up from a compact digicam. However,Nikon shows that it canbe even better. I am not much in to action photography, and since the istDS is so much better in other ways,I would still choose that in favour of the Nikon. But if I was mainly shootinge.g. sports, I would be seriously tempted by the Nikon.

The bottom line is: in my next DSLR I want the best of both worlds! Hopefully, one of the outcomes of the Pentax-Samsung cooperation will be a better, faster AF!

...anyone listening in Japan or Korea??

Yours

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

lkch wrote:
Quote:
The bottom line is: in my next DSLR I want the best of both worlds! Hopefully, one of the outcomes of the Pentax-Samsung cooperation will be a better, faster AF!
Hi Lars,

first of all: the SAMSUNG GX-1Sis the Pentax istDS2, the GX-1L is the istDL

So no change should be expected!

But to your comparison Pentax - Nikon. The Nikons I tested (50 & 70) focussed faster than the DS, but not really accurate. But this may change from cam to cam....

Mostly I focus manually with my DS with split-screen

Alfred
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:24 AM   #3

alfred,
can you supply a link to the ''split screen'' prism ?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:29 AM   #4

Hello Alfred

Yes, I'm avare that these models are re-badged Pentax's. I'm just expressing my hopes for future models

As I said, AF is not my prime concern. I also own a couple of SMC-A lenses, which I use with great satisfaction (I've even written about using old glass on a new Pentax - but only in Danish). However, when using AF I would of course like it to be as fast and reliable as possible

Yours

Lars
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:29 AM   #5

Katz Eye focus screens

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com
wjwncpro_Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:22 AM   #6

A faster AF may not be needed by me, but a fairly accurate one must be.
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:46 AM   #7

Having used a Canon 20D and Nikon D70s last week in CA along with my DS, I found the AF on my DS to be much more accurate than both C and N, but theirs was much faster.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:59 AM   #8

It may be good relative to other SLR's, (when it does focus, it's always accurate) but compared to my last camera(Oly UZI), it's dismal in low light.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:42 PM   #9

It may not be the "low light" is the culprit, but the low *colour temp* light is:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/DS...cy_on_KEV.html

Also, the error becomes obvious when one uses fast lenses at wide aperture. With smaller aperture, the AF errors are well hidden, with just decreased resolution in the image is resulted.
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote