Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:37 PM   #11

"Just got an SMC-A 1.4 today. Bought it of the net, including a pretty worn Super A body (Which I dont need anyway). The lens seems fine - apart from one thing: itis fitted with an UV-filter which has a dent and wont come of."

Try putting it in the freezer for a bit and see if the contraction from the cold won't make it possible to take the filter off. This has worked for me a couple of times! Another alternative is to unscrew the ring that holds the filter glass in and once the glass is out, the ring should be fairly easy to remove.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:21 PM   #12

Shot this with my FA50mm 1.4 at f4 in ambient indoor light. This lens is very soft at f1.4, typically sharp at f2.8 and tack sharp at f4 and above. I agree with the comments about critical focus at f1.4!!!!DOF for portrait distances is paper thin. You can waste a lot of shots having the subjects nose in focus but not the eyes.

http://www.awjweb.com/gallery/Latest/IMGP2072f?full=1

awjweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:05 PM   #13

awjweb wrote:
Quote:
Shot this with my FA50mm 1.4 at f4 in ambient indoor light. This lens is very soft at f1.4, typically sharp at f2.8 and tack sharp at f4 and above. I agree with the comments about critical focus at f1.4!!!! DOF for portrait distances is paper thin. You can waste a lot of shots having the subjects nose in focus but not the eyes.

http://www.awjweb.com/gallery/Latest/IMGP2072f?full=1
awjweb,

I had a quick look of your site. You are a pro.
Agreed. You are right on.
50mm 1.4 has maybe 3 stops advantage over f:2 and that could be a lot depending on illumination. It could be a matter of having or not having flash which introduces almost another can of worm.
I typically check out if I manage 2.8 or 4. Above that , flash is necessary.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote