Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:10 AM   #1

After embarrassing myself with a question on Backlit LCD panel on the DL on another thread, I am now going to ask the question about the flash.

I have seen the differences between the D and the DS and now the DL. I was reading some data on the DS....

Normal Mode is a basic picture taking mode that is equivalent to the Auto mode of many other cameras. Should it be needed the flash is released automatically.

Portrait Mode selects a wide aperture to blur the background behind the subject. The flash is automatically released and set by default to perform red-eye reduction by strobing before firing the main flash.......

The *ist DS is equipped with a pop-up flash that is automatically released when the camera is set to Auto Pict or one of the Scene modes — with the exception of the Flash Off mode — or which can be released with a small button on the upper left side of the camera's back. The Flash has a Guide Number (GN) of 15.6 meters at 200 ISO, a coverage angle of 20mm, and a synchronization speed of 1/180 second.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pen...xistds-gen.php

Does the DL also have this function, I have tried both settings as listed above in a darkened room and the lightening bolt symbol appears and starts flashing to say it needs a flash, but the flash does not pop up. Is it supposed to do that on the DL??
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:18 AM   #2

Hello Crashman!

I just tried it on my DS. The flash doesn't pop up automatically in any mode if you have the flash setting under the Fn button put to "manual", which I always have. If you change that setting to either of the two "auto" alternatives it pops up in the various motive programme modes (marked with symbols on the wheel) . In the "letter modes" the "auto flash" doesn't work, then you will have to release it yourself with the button at the left if you want to use it.

But dont forget about rule number one for taking pictures with the flash: If you want good pictures, don't use the flash!:G

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:50 AM   #3

Quote:
bilybianca wrote: Hello Crashman! But dont forget about rule number one for taking pictures with the flash: If you want good pictures, don't use the flash!

Um, this really isnt correct at all. Sure, in some situations where a flash is used it will ruin the picture, but sometimes you have to use it. Id say this is correct only if you are using the pop-up flash onboard the camera, but thats it.

Go get a decent flashgun and you will see why - make sure it has a swivel head so it can be bounced off objects. Bouncing the flash will create nice flattering shadows and is very good for portraits, for example. Also, try always to use a diffuser.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hello Crashman!
But dont forget about rule number one for taking pictures with the flash: If you want good pictures, don't use the flash!:G

Kjell
kjell,
the flash has it's moments. one thing it's great for is macros. another is isolating your subject. i recently got a couple of f5p hot shoe adapters and an f5p flash cord to get my af400ftz off the camera. i was playing with it night before last. i had it zoomed all the way out to isolate the dogs. these were taken from about 5'-6' away.
i noticed that the flash was too bright with these and have more from last night using a -2ev flash compensation but i haven't D/Led them yet. you'll have to agree these could not have the effect they have w/o the flash. i mainly got this to do some special effect macros but haven't found the subject yet because of winter..
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:01 AM   #5

and
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:02 AM   #6

and
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:47 AM   #7

Thanks, now I know why I joined this forum.

I tried what you said and set my flash to Auto and then selected a preset auto setting like portrait and sure enough it popped up. Then I set it back to manual.:blah:

No wonder I couldn't get it to pop up before, I never use the presets, I ALWAYS use manual settings. Thanks for the info anyways, just in case I decide to go out and take some pics andbe lazy.

I agree also that there are times when Flash is required, I mainly use it for paint by flash on Bulb shots (metz falsh hand held mainly) and also to flash fill on some day shots where the back ground is quite bright to help reduce the contrast.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:46 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
kjell,
the flash has it's moments. one thing it's great for is macros. another is isolating your subject. i recently got a couple of f5p hot shoe adapters and an f5p flash cord to get my af400ftz off the camera.

Really nice pictures, make me think of some old b/w Hitchcok or Bergman movie. Well, now we're not talking about a pop-up flash, but rather getting a bit closer to the professional studio.

I was at a birthday party last Friday, and took a lot of pictures as a memory for the host. I used my AF280T bouncing the ceiling. The results were OK for the purpose, but none of the pictures would pass as a cover for TimeLife Magazine.

OK, I'll modify the rule: If nothing else works, try a flash. But avoid the pop-up.:lol:

Kjell

Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:08 PM   #9

Trying again with the picture

Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:08 PM   #10

Yep, for quite cheap you can get a half decent flashgun with a bounce head. For $300 AUD I got my Sigma AF500ST flash, it has a bounch and swivel and a built in diffuser.

Billy that would be a much better shot had there not be so much clutter in the background. Try a reframe with no background clutter and perhaps a tighter crop
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote