Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:11 AM   #1

I just purchased a DL and would like to make sure I have the latest firmware for it.
I can only seem to find updates for DS, are there even any for the DL?
Also, how do I check what firmware the camera is currently running?

Thanks
Brendan
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:24 AM   #2

I think if you turn it on whilst holding Fn or the OK button or something will tell you the firmware version.

Im pretty sure that it comes with the latest, though.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:56 AM   #3

Yep, it works, its the 'Menu' button.
Mine is v1.00

Thanks.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

I don't think there have been any firmware revisions for the DL.....but I'd like to see some improvements as it's probably going to be their "big seller" and other Pentax DSLRs have had some revisions........we'll see!
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 7:21 AM   #5

The last firmware upgrade for the DS existed to bring it up to the DS2, DL level. Until there is a significant new feature set (or a particular issue has arisen) the firmware of the DL will probably stay as it is. Pentax has offered its full feature set on the DL, (other than physical cutbacks like the smaller buffer, 3 point AF and mirror prism) the firmware gives it everything the DS models have.

Canon "crippled" the original 300D by installing firmware which deactivated features the camera could have used. They did this so that they would not take sales away from their own (more profitable) 10D, a far more expensive model. Electronically there was little real difference between the two, the 10D was just a much sturdier camera, so Canon disabled a number of features with firmware on the 300D so that photographers that wanted a performance edge had to buy the more expensive model. Canon never officially upgraded the 300dbut therewere many hackers who discovered the software fix and offered a firmware package which unlocked most of the features (voiding your warranty of course). I do not have aCanon so I do not know how risky these unofficial upgrades were (I think I would think twice). Sorry to digress but much of the cry for firmware upgrades are just generated by issues like this where a company does not get it right first time, the DL has firmware that has already been well sorted in the DS.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:00 AM   #6

Firmware updates are up to the respective companies and only address issues deemed necessary by the company to correct and/or possibly upgrade.

It is true about the Canon Rebel 300D and the Canon 10D. Virutally the same camera after installing the Wasia Hack. In alot of cases it did not void the warranty of the camera that needed service.

The DS firmware was a surprise for me and it definitely is a very good one.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #7

Did that Canon hack apply to the Rebel XT also?
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:53 AM   #8

The Rebel XT is not crippled like the original Rebel, it has performance that is very close to the 20D, but the build quality is the big selling point of the 20D. I think Canon may have learned their lesson on this one and let their products stand on their own merits.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote