Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:29 PM   #1

A few years ago I purchased a dusty item from a small camera store, a slide "improver". What it actually was, was a slide copier, the same one that sells at Adorama for about $85US but I had it for $12Cdn (we all get lucky now and then).

Anyway the devicewas designed for 35mm sowith the 1.5X crop factor of the DL I cannot get the entire slide. But it works really well if the original was not tightly cropped. It also has a 2X magnification feature (I guess it is a 3X now, given the crop factor again). To finally get to the point, it works very well. Most articles will suggest a 4000dpi scanner for slides, but if your enlargement plans are somewhat more modest, this will suffice, after all it is still a 6MP file.

Here is one example from a 20 year old Kodachrome slide:

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:35 PM   #2

Here is a 100% crop, the original was shot with a Pentax ME Super and probably the 50mm f1.7 (or a Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 zoom).
Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:55 PM   #3

Do you have just the slide copier, or do you have the bellows attachment along with it? I have a Pentax bellows and slide copier (M42) I got in Viet Nam, and with the bellows, I can copy the full slide with any short lens I have up to 135mm.

Also, when doing copies my macro (dedicated macro only) lens works best, because it has flat focus from center to edge, which keeps the entire slide in focus form center to edge even though the DOF is extremely short.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:52 PM   #4

The unit I have is an all-in-one, it mounts to the camera using a T-mount adapter. This unit includes lens and slide mount and is fixed focus. Not as flexible as the rig you describe but very simple to use. If you like i can post a picture of it.

Ira
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:26 PM   #5

The one I have is a bellows mounted on two rails, then the copier with a smaller bellows mounts on the end of the rail. Any lens you want to use is attached between the copier and bellows and then the bellows goes on the camera body.

I will have to break it out this week and post a image copy, since I have not used it for a bit.

tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote