Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:35 AM   #1

I am thinking of getting a bigger lens, it's a guy thing. Seriously though, has anyone got any experience with this lens?

Is it any good? I almost bought one today on Ebay but got outbidded at the end, but the price was getting high and close to the brand new retail price, so I let it go.

If it is worth buying, what sort of price range is aceptable.

Lastly, issues with "some dust inside the lens, but not noticeable" is that a problem, can it be stripped and cleaned, is it expensive. More importantly, how does the dust get in there in the first place??

All the questions and more will be anmswered...hopefully. :roll:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:26 AM   #2

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a bigger lens, it's a guy thing. Seriously though, has anyone got any experience with this lens?

Is it any good? I almost bought one today on Ebay but got outbidded at the end, but the price was getting high and close to the brand new retail price, so I let it go.

If it is worth buying, what sort of price range is aceptable.

Lastly, issues with "some dust inside the lens, but not noticeable" is that a problem, can it be stripped and cleaned, is it expensive. More importantly, how does the dust get in there in the first place??

All the questions and more will be anmswered...hopefully. :roll:
For quality and pict go to http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browse?id=17018

I hope the link works . If not go to photosig.com and find the pict of the zoom you wish to look at .

It is bound to have dust inside the lens and I believe it is almost a standard wording already. How they got in there? The area is not a vacuum Period.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:09 AM   #3

Thanks, I will have a look at the link.

Just when I thought I was getting a handle on this lens thing along comes Sigma, Sigma Super, Sigma Super II, Sigma APO and all in the same lens bracket, Sigma 70-300mm, f4-5.6. ...I am lost :?:?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:47 AM   #4

I have a couple of questions for you . I trust you have DL and did you have any non-autofocus A or M lens ?
If yes do you find it difficult to focus?
I have difficulties in focusing in my A 50mm-f/2 & M 28mm f/3.5.
The following could be the problem 1. my age/eyesignt (Age 55) 2. DL has a reputation of having dimmer viewfinder or 3. substandard lens (which have big sample to sample difference).
What is your input?
Also I have just had a new cheapie Pentax FAJ 75-300mm at US$129 and I would rate that a lot higher than the DL kit lens.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=48489

Daniel

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, I will have a look at the link.

Just when I thought I was getting a handle on this lens thing along comes Sigma, Sigma Super, Sigma Super II, Sigma APO and all in the same lens bracket, Sigma 70-300mm, f4-5.6. ...I am lost :??
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

haven't had any problems with focusing any of my manual primes except a sigma 400. i think that's because of the magnification..
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:27 PM   #6

Dont forget the DL has a mirror viewfinder not a pentaprism, so manual focus will be alot more difficult
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:47 AM   #7

The sigma supa and supa ll are newer models of the d and dl lenses, they are being discontinued, they are the non digital lenses. the Apo is the high end of the 70-300mm. I read some negative comments about the non digital (DG) version of the 170-500 just with the auto focus and having to be returned but dont know what the new ones are like. I was thinking about getting one and yes it gets really confusing, like working out some incredibly complicated math formula. Price is usually a good indication of how the company rates its products but when you get something like a 28-300 vs a 70-300 its a little more difficult when the prices dont give much away. The 28-300 is more expensive but it covers more focal length so that will ad to the cost, it has more aspherical lenses but then some of the cheap lenses are aspherical while some of the EX lenses dont have much in comparison. I am now looking into the prospect of a shorter ex lens and teleconverter. If you want to know what price to pay, Sigma 4 less is the best place to start, they are cheaper than anyone else on most things, sometimes only a few dollars as their post is 10.00 more than B&H and adorama but they have the 170-500 APO DG for canon (out of pentax) for 639.95 US while B&H have it for 729 US. I bought my 70-300mm APO DG from them. With post its 719.31 so thats 954.30 AUD. Centre.net.au (aust) have them for 1222.89 AUD including post.
Broadway photo has them for 557 plus 84.56 international postage so thats 641.56 which is 850.65 AUD but they dont have the digital version for pentax only the standard which is 583 USD. On some items they and A&M photo world have items that are way cheaper than anyone else. A sigma 500 DG supa for 179.00 while B&H has them for 219 and sigma 4less has them for 209 US. So it pays to shop around.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:58 AM   #8

I am cruizing Ebay as well and missing out on some bargains too. I was going to try and get some 2nd hand ones as I am going away for a couple of years and the camera is going to get some serious action in a lot of diffferent countries and under some difficult conditions and wold prefer to killa $500 second hand one rather than a $1200 newie.

Btw How water proof are camera and lenses, short of swimming with them, I presume they handle humidity ok and rain.:?

Daniel, my kit lens is 18-125 DC Sigma Auto Focus. I do manually focus a lot at the moment because 95% of my shots with this camera have been night time. I just realised I must be turning into a night stalker. :lol: It is not the brightest viewfinder but my eyes aren't great either.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:37 AM   #9

be sure to get a few silica gel packs for each bag or storage piece. fungus LOVES humidity. you can restore the absorbtion quality of them by heating them to 300f to get the water out.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:39 AM   #10

what about one of those cheap phoenix stove pipe 400-800mm?
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote