Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:06 PM   #1

Hello, I'm looking for some advice for my girlfriend,who bought a DS2 last night from B&H. We spaced on getting batteries, so I need some help gettingsome for her camera before it arrives.

Here's a few questions I'm hoping to get answered:
  • Can you use batteries with greater than 2500mA safely in the DS2? [/*]
  • Do batteries with a smaller rating than 2500mA last significantly less time? [/*]
  • What's a good brand, and what's bad? [/*]
  • Same questions for a charger - are there some better than others? Shorter recharge time, etc? Better quality?[/*]
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Polarbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:28 PM   #2

I've had my DS2 since October.

I bought an Energizer charger and 2500mA batteries and they work great. The charger I found at Bestbuy also had a plug so I can use it in my car as well as at home.

Initially I got only about 100 shots, but this significantly increased after the 2nd charge to about 400+ shots. I also use them in my flash and they seem to last forever.

The mA rating is --- so far as I know --- simply an indicator of how much juice the battery can store, and how long it will last, and not how much it puts out at any time. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. So if you can find batteries greater than 2500mA, go ahead.

Regards, Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:33 PM   #3

go here
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

i use lenmar 2000-2500 only because they are a good brand and fry's electronics offeres them onsale for about $6-7 for ten.. maha chargers are about the best. try getting a ''smart'' one. don't pinch pennies on one.. see if there is a fry's around you..i don't know of any AAs that will not work.
thomasdistributing has some good info also..
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

I had 2000 mAh batteries and switched to 2500 mAh of the same brand and there was a big difference in how long they lasted in my DS.

The charger suggestion was a good one, because the batteries can only be as good as the charging unit you use, so get a good one.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:20 PM   #5

When I was buying my DS2 last month, I learned a lot from http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

I bought a Maha C204F charger (great reviews, does smart charging and conditioning, and is inexpensive and tiny) and 8 Powerex 2500mAh batteries from http://www.thomasdistributing.com/and have been very happy with them.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:29 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for the great info - this isexactly what I'm looking for.

I'll be going with the Energizer 2500mA NiMH batteries (easy to find and great reviews), and I have to decide between the Maha smart charger and the Energizer 15-Minute charger (which seems hard to find but has great reviews).I guess I should run it by my girlfriend, since it's her camera.

I'm thinking 3 sets of batteries would be good enough to cover a full-day shoot once they're conditioned properly... Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your help!

Tony
Polarbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:05 PM   #7

Last week in CA I filled three 512 cards with jpg photos and did not have to change batteries at all, so I would be amazed if you need more than two sets for a really full day of shooting.

I have never had to change batteries during any one day shoot although I have a DS and not a DS2.

Tom
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:46 PM   #8

I thought the mA rating was just how long they last. Dont they all provide 1.2 volts anyway?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:25 PM   #9

For NiMH rechargeable, I highly recommend Sanyo batteries and charger. Do consider also Rechargable CR-V3s, you must find one with the voltage regulation feature, otherwise the voltage will be too high and the camera might be damaged.

The clear advantage of RCR-V3 is that the body will become more stable and powerful, particularly you will notice the difference in AF speed.

I use this OEM model of RCR-V3 btw:-

http://cameras-cameras.com/digital-c...tCategories=11

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:45 PM   #10

I use both Energizer 2500mAh and Sanyo 2500mAh batteries and see no difference between the two brands.

The RCR-V3 batteries seem to allow faster auto focus and do last longer, but since I get about 800 shots from the AA rechargeable batteries, I always use them since they fit my shooting needs.

Tom