Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:42 AM   #1

Has anyone any experience of the Hoya Pro1 Digital Filters & are they worth spending almost twice as much over normal coated filters.

Is the coating robost enough to enable 'washing' when the front becomes contaminated with salt spray, dust etc.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:02 AM   #2

sheesh, i have enough problem paying for the HMCs..
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:50 PM   #3

I dont know if I am buying into this whole digital coatings thing, it seems to me more like making a ferrari go faster, it may do something extra but will you ever need it? I cant tell any difference between digital lenses and regular lenses.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:31 PM   #4

Well, I've 'bitten the bullet' & ordered one to try out.

Lens flare has been a tad annoying at times so it'll be interesting to see if flare is actually reduced or if it's just hype - I'll keep you posted.

Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:21 PM   #5

If you must use filters than multi-coated filters are a big plus. Remember that we spend big bucks on high quality multi-coated lenses only to cover them with single coated (or uncoated) pieces of glass (or even plastic). Mike Johnston wrote an article on the filter flare factor http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/02062005.htmlthat may be very enlightening.

Certain filters are necessary (like a polarizer) but most are only necessary for special purposes. I do use protective filters on a couple of my lenses but not like the late 1970s when some people actually crazy glued a skylight filter onto their lenses!!!:?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:07 PM   #6

The press release says, "Attaching the right filter can replace the need to retouch each digital photo you take."

Wow...I'd pay a lot for a filter that takes care of my cropping, rotating, color correction, sharpening, and resizing! Let's see, it must also do raw conversion, huh? Oh, and does it also "clone out"or "heal" those little imperfections and distractions in my photos? Cool... :lol:

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:10 PM   #7

I use filters on all my Pentax lenses, but I take them off before I take any photos, then put them back on when I am done to protect the lens from damage or dirt.

I use B&H filters on my MF film cameras, but none on my DS because it seems that even the B&H filters take just a bit away from the digital image.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:21 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I use filters on all my Pentax lenses, but I take them off before I take any photos, then put them back on when I am done to protect the lens from damage or dirt.

I use B&H filters on my MF film cameras, but none on my DS because it seems that even the B&H filters take just a bit away from the digital image.
Now there's a brave man - aren't you concerned about salt spray & dust that's there even for the short duration that the filter's removed.

Looks Like I've answered my own Question

Here's the comparison - decide for yourself if it's worth it
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:41 AM   #9
E.T

I haven't myself tested but in one Finnish digicam forum someone said that coating in Hoya's Pro 1 filters is much more robust while Hoya's standard multilayer coating is much softer.

For how much different coatings matter here's good page:
http://www.teknofokus.fi/Foto/suokoe.htm
And no, it isn't encrypted, it's just in Finnish.

First shot is with good multicoated lens, in second there's uncoated El Cheapo in front of it, in third pic there's one layer coated El cheapo (with really bad optical quality, double reflection). Fourth pic is with high quality multilayer coated filter.

Next photo is ND filter with single coating layer in one side, after that there's uncoated CPl (but high quality one because reflection is symmetrical)
Last real condition shots have same "configuration" as in first four.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote