Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:54 AM   #1

Steve, All

What is your take on Pentax and Samsung producing identical cameras under both names? And what about not offering the new DL2 in the United States under the Pentax name? Is Pentax planning to drop out of the U.S. market and offering the Samsung name only in the states? A lot of questions I agree but I was just about ready (saved enough) to by my first DSLR and for me the front runner was the DL. I hade narrowed the choices to the DL and the Minolta 5D. I canned the Minolta as a choice when they announced the end of digital cameras for their company and now I'm worried about the Pentax name. In my opinion it would be a tragedy if Pentax dropped out of the U.S. market. There are a lot of very loyal Pentax users out there.

Your thoughts please.

rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:37 AM   #2

Get what works for you right now and enjoy taking photographs with your camera, instead of playing the waiting game just in case something better comes along. I use my DS and enjoy it along with other Pentax gear I have had for years, most of which is no longer in production.

Get a DS2 or a DL, or even a DS and start shooting if you feel Pentax will work for you and stop dealing with speculation on what may be in the future. Just think about all the photographs you are missing by waiting!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3

DITTO
i'd have no prob w/purchasing a M 5d. sony will take care of it.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4

Knowing that the Samsung is the same camera as the Pentax I would not be concerned with what was printed on the front of the prism housing. This is not like the Sony-KM issue, they still have to get their act together, Pentax and Samsung will have no interruption in sales and service as far as I can see right now.

I prefer the Pentax name but I see no problem with Samsung. Being in Canada it looks like we keep the Pentax name anyway. I wouldn't worry about this one, unlike SONY-KM there seems to be a fluid transition for Pentax and Samsung.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:45 PM   #5

Since I live so close to Canada, I may just drive up there and pick up a D2 if they ever come out, since I would rather have the Pentax name, even though I expect there is really no difference.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:07 PM   #6

Yes I would reather see the Pentax name on my camera too.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:21 PM   #7

I'm another one that doesn't care what name is on the front. I just bought a Pentax DS without worrying that the Pentax name may disappear from the States. If it does, perhaps I'll be able to pick up some old Pentax lenses cheaply.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote