Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:28 PM   #1

I have a number of lenses, some that I bought and some that my father bought (we both had ME cameras). I bought a SMC Pentax-F Zoom 70-210, while my father bought a Kiron 80-200 f/4 Macro. The Pentax lens won't zoom while the Kiron lens is in excellent shape. Which is the better lens? Is it worth getting the Pentax lens fixed (if it is fixable)? What I remember is that I preferred the Pextax lens (but I didn't have the Kiron very long before I switched to digital, and I had never heard of Kiron so that might have colored my opinion). Now I've been looking up Kiron on the internet, and it sounds like the Kiron made really good lenses. If it really is a good lens, I'd be less interested in putting money into the Pentax lens (even though this is the only one I have that is auto-focus).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:24 PM   #2

Although the Pentax is a good lens, the cost of repair is probably enough to say "use the Kiron". Many older MF lenses are actually faster and better built than the later AF gear so use the Kiron and get a used AF lens from ebay if you need it. (New lenses are quite cheap now as well, if you choose wisely.)

Kiron was good quality so images should be fine.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:41 PM   #3

kiron glass is very good. don't be afraid of useing it. kiron made a lot of the early vivitar series 1 lenses which were superb.. and costly..
not the the vivitars of today.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies - I dropped the Pentax lens off at my local camera shop and will owe them $15 for an estimate for repairs. I figured it was worth at least that much, though if it will cost the roughly $100 that the person threw out as a possibility, I figure I'll pass - $50 or less I'll probably get it fixed.

This camera store carries Tamron lenses, not Sigma or Pentax. I'm thinking of getting something like 18-200 so that I don't have to change lenses most of the time. Is the Tamron as good or better than the others? They aren't cheap there.

It's been fun dragging out all the gear I haven't looked at in several years and trying it out on this new camera. It's funny - while I remembered all of the downside of using an SLR I had forgotten how much fun it could be. And I'm still reading the owners manual, trying to figure out how it all works. I have discovered that it's easier to have things go wrong than with a fixed lens camera (like forgetting to push the AE-L button to set the shutter speed when using manual lenses), but hey, it's only digital and it doesn't cost anything to play!

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote