Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:44 PM   #1

I'm considering a *istDS2 and am wondering if I can use my oldscrew mount lenses (with the screw mount adapter). From what I've read here it looks like the pin that stops thelens down might cause problems. All the lenses below have this pin.

I have a 90-230mm zoom and a 24mmboth Vivitar. Also a 55mm Mamiya Sekor. The Vivitars have a spring loaded M control which must be heldin place to stop down the lens. The Mamiya lens has an M/A switch.

I'm guessing I can't use them but just wanted to be sure.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 12:42 AM   #2

I use a Vivitar 200mm Prime screw mount on my *istDS and there are no problems with that pin.

You have to use stop down metering but otherwise there is no problem.

You are restricted to Apeture priority or full manual operation.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:06 AM   #3

you'll also need a 42mm to PK adapter
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:15 PM   #4

Ken B

The pin is not an issue, but if there is no way to switch the lenses to manual aperture operation then we have a problem. The lens must be stopped down to meter and again to take the picture. The lens with the manual switch will simply stay at whatever aperture you have chosen, no problem here, but the lenses which do not stay at shooting aperture may not be usable (except at full aperture) unless you can somehow hold them in the stopped down position.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, when I switched from screw mount to K-mount back in 1979 I had to sell two of my lenses because they did not have the aperture switch.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:22 PM   #5

Many thanks Ira, Robar and Philneast. That clears things up for me. Now it's decision time.

Ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote