Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:01 AM   #1

I saw this over on DPReview and was wondering if anyone here had seen the product or had any direct experience with it. I am thinking about it and was curious if it is of any help.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--K...prod_istD.html
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:31 AM   #2

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I saw this over on DPReview and was wondering if anyone here had seen the product or had any direct experience with it. I am thinking about it and was curious if it is of any help.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--K...prod_istD.html
We had split-screens too. But it's not that easy: The metering has some restrictions and problems. It took us quite a long time to solve those problems ....
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

The question is, if you use spot metering and spot focus is there a problem?

Does it make the camera give false or unreliable exposure readings when trying to set the EV level to Zero?
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
The question is, if you use spot metering and spot focus is there a problem?

Does it make the camera give false or unreliable exposure readings when trying to set the EV level to Zero?
Spot-metering MAY cause problems. The exposure-readings may be wrong - but that depends on the screen and the lens you use. My 1,4/50 works very fine with the splt screen - a 8/600 does not.

That'smy result with optimized screens. It took us quite a lot of tests and "try & error" to find the right screens to cut for the istd/s.....
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:39 PM   #5

alfred,

are you saying you make them??
if so, are they available?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:12 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
alfred,

are you saying you make them??
if so, are they available?
This moment screens are not available, but we think about starting a new edition - if the new pentax-cam's will have removable screens too. But this moment we don't have that detailed informations.Early thissummer we'll know more.....:roll:
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:23 AM   #7

I have 2 Katz Eye screens. They work exceedingly well. Here is a quote from their site as it applies to metering. I have found these comments to be accurate.

Quote:
The Katz Eye™ focusing screen for the Pentax *istD Series shows only a minimal effect on metering with the *istD. Based on an analysis of the histograms, centerweighted average metering mode can be expected to be within 1/3 f-stops when using any AF lens. In full frame evaluative mode, the standard Katz Eye™ screen will also be within 1/3 stops; the OptiBrite version may shift 2/3 stops toward overexposure in this mode when using lenses with a maximum aperture of f4.5 or slower. Spot metering mode will also be accurate, within 1/3 f-stops, when using lenses with a maximum aperture of f3.5 or faster. Slower lenses will not perform well in spot metering mode, however, and when using slow lenses we recommend the use of either evaluative or CWA metering modes.
roscot is offline   Reply With Quote