Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:40 PM   #1

there are 3 choices here. i know what ''pc'', ''pic bridge'', is but what is ''pc-f'' ??
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:23 PM   #2

Robar

PC-F selects a USB 1.1 Mode (Full Speed) - around 7Mbits/sec instead of the normal (PC) USB 2 Mode at 42 Mbits/sec in PC. It's for use if you have trouble connecting to an older non-USB 2 device - backwards compatibility doesn't always work.
st-ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:42 PM   #3

i'd just like to know how and where i missed that??
the reason i was asking is because i'm looking to see,find?, if there is a way to d/l the images directly to a hdd without the use of a computer.
ie: the cam connected ''directly'' to a usb hdd via a USB cable..
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:31 AM   #4

I have never had a USB-2 device not work on any USB-1 or USB-2 port on any of my computers but I have only Mac's and not PC's.

I use the Hyperdrive HD80 to transfer my files to the HD inside the HD80 but putting the
SD card into the slot and it automatically transfers the photos without a computer. It is fast and very handy in the field.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:43 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'd just like to know how and where i missed that??
the reason i was asking is because i'm looking to see,find?, if there is a way to d/l the images directly to a hdd without the use of a computer.
ie: the cam connected ''directly'' to a usb hdd via a USB cable..
You'll need a "bridge" like the Macally Sync Box at ecost.com, or this one from Surplus Computers:

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...;item=CES10933

The best route, however, is to put a laptop drive into an Image Tank case (from ebay, of course). Then you simply slip the card into the slot and press "Copy" and it's done.

Hope this helps,
Lou

p.s. I have the last two items, and the Tank is much, much better.
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:30 AM   #6

the CES10933 -Ares Digital Smart X or the sync-box is what i'm looking for.. thanks. i've got numerous 3.5'' drives laying around and figured about all i needed was an enclosure and some kind of bridge. again thanks..
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:21 AM   #7

The only kink that I found with that option was that an AC power source was needed for the hdd. I ended up using my 30 GB mp3 player (rechargeable) to dump the images into while away from a wall socket. A cheap inverter that plugs into the lighter socket of your car works well, too.

Lou

p.s. The bridge will power a small card reader for the transfer so that your camera need not be tied up for the 20 min. or so that it takes to copy an entire card (1 GB in my case). Just monitor the batteries.

Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:00 PM   #8

lou,
do you know of other sourses or seen these on ebay?
i've been using a 150w converter in the car for a number of years.. think it cost me $8.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:53 PM   #9

I bought one just before Christmas at Home Depot, a Black and Decker 120 or 150 wattI believe, for under $20. Surplus Computers has them from time to time, also. A 70w will power a laptop, so it should spin a HD.

Lou
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:58 PM   #10

Try this link for a protable solution for little money that was listed on another forum!

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=AA35360

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote