Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:19 AM   #1

I think I am misunderstanding what or how metering works.
I understand the difference between multi-segment, center-weighted and spot metering.
What I dont understand is in the manual and in the 'C' options theres a setting that allows you to choose the metering time from 3,10 or 30 seconds.
I dont understand what effect this has and how to really use this feature.
When does this 10 (or 3 or 30) seconds of metering take place? :?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, im just getting into photography and dont fully understand all the terms/features yet.
Could someone with an *ist DL or similar model explain how I would meter a scene to get the correct exposure.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help :-)

PS, I did read the manual, it was helpful in parts, but doesn't really explain what these metering time values do, only how to change them in the options.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:19 AM   #2

This is a battery conservation feature.

The metering system gives a real time instantaneous reading of the light at any instant in time.

The Pentax programers figure that this time is long enough for you to compose your scene and make any changes in camera settings to suit the current conditions.

The final metering takes place after you have pressed the shutter release button, unless of course you are in fully manual mode.

This setting does not affect the way the camera meters the light, only the period of time it is operational and consuming battery power.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:24 AM   #3

When you half press your shutter release it measures the focus (in AF mode) and the light to set the shutter/aperature (in auto modes) and to show the - and + display on the RHS of the viewfinder which is your new digital style of the old metering needle in the 35mm cameras. (i.e. -3 to +3)

This metering is instant and can be locked with the button with the AE-L on the RHS, setting the exposure and shutter regardless of what happens next before you take the shot.

For example you can focus on an object and whilst holding down the shutter release half way recompose the image and fully depress the shutter release to take the pic without it automativally refocussing the image. Very useful when taking sunset shots and the subject is off to one side of the image out out of the AF focusing area.

The same can be applied using the AE lock button, you can half press the shutter release set the metering and lock it, recompose your shot and release the shutter without it re-checking the light. The settings also allows you to have it constantly check light settings or only for 10 (3 or 30) secs, up to you.

It really only comes into play when yo are doing something different with lighting or shooting in difficult lighting conditions, i.e. trying photograph something with a very bright background or constantly changing light conditions and you want the camera to keep adjusting to those conditions as you are getting ready to make the shot.

I hope this explains it enough, best bet is to play with the settings and try different things with the same shot. I recall taking about 30 shots of a light switch on my lounge room as I played with the White Balance, then 30 odd shots of something else as I played with sharpness and contrast. Play with everything until you find what works for you, it doesn't cost anyting except your time.

Regards

Al
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:30 AM   #4

Gee Phil

Do you think I was a bit verbose..:-)

I prefer your explanation :roll:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:44 AM   #5

Thanks guys!
Both replies were very useful.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote