Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:25 AM   #1

Hi!

I'm going to Chicago on a business trip in April and I was thinking of maybe getting my first Pentax dSLR. I've been a Pentax user for the last 20 yrs,so I've got a stock of glass. Anyway, I bought my P&S Pentax Optio 550 through a friend in 2003who lived in Boston for a while and he brought it back to Sweden (I didn't find any camera dealer in the US who wanted to ship to Europe and the price difference Sweden vs. US made well up for the 256 SD card, extra battery and case). After almost a year, the zoom extension/retraction motor started to make a lot of noise, but Pentax Scandinavia replaced it, no hassle what so ever although it was bought through internet order in the US. So, I feel confident buying Pentax stuff abroad. I'm keen on upgrading my SLR equipment and if the prices in Chicago are favorable I don't see any problems in buying it there. But I need to get som tips on a good dealer in Chicago? Has any one got a clue? Alternatively, I'm most likely going to Toronto in summer, how is the competition between Canada and the US?Is the DS2 available in US/Can? Are there any other differences between the DS/DS2 than the size of the screen?

I've tried to get a picture of the European market (i.e German and British, my French isn't that good...) but I've not found any good deals. Maybe someone has a good suggestion?

Although the Optio 550 is a great P&S my fingers are itching for more. The old SP500, ME, and SFX are nice analogs but I want to move on, and I just have to make the deal optimal so that my bank account doesn't implode.

Thanks,

Mikael
Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:12 AM   #2

have your friend look around, soon!!
it's very hard to find a D,DS,DS2 anywhere in the states anymore. so i guess get it where you can find it..
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:27 AM   #3

Why is it hard to find? Is it due to the Samsung issue? I mean, for historical reasons I'd prefer a "Pentax" logo on the piece, but if the only option was Samsung (or if the Pentax-badged thing would be significantly more expensive) I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Korean version as long the lens compatibility is preserved.

Does anybody know if/when Pentax will launch new models? Or Samsung...

//Mikael
Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

The problem you have is the DS is very hard to find right now and in April it will be even worse, so unless you know someone in Chicago that can purchase one for you now, I would expect you will be out of luck.

Helix http://www.helixphoto.com/home.html is a major player in Chicago and they only have a DL right now.

ebay has some right now, but I don't know how long those will last either and I have no idea if the people offering them are reliable.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:18 PM   #5

friend of mine just bought a DS on ebay--body only. there are some and the DS2 but if you can get your friend to buy it now for you. as tom said, they are going fast.

http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZ...o=&saprchi=
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:15 PM   #6

I *JUST* bought a DS2 from B&H Photo/Video (got it Thursday). I, too, was looking all over for one and there were only three places that had them on the web (our local dealer in St. Louis didn't know if/when they were going to get them). I bought it from B&H because I had dealt with them before.

Love the camera! Looked at Nikon D50/D70s, Canon Rebel XT and Olympus E500. The Nikons were too big, the Rebel too flimsy, the Oly was the right size but had a crummy viewfinder. I tried out a DL and found the size and viewfinder to my liking, but wanted the DS2 because of the pentaprism and the 11pt autofocus. I'm happy =) Pictures so far are nice.
jeff627 is offline   Reply With Quote