Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:22 PM   #11

Here is a 100% crop of an unaltered image from the 70-200 Takumar.
70mm
1/100 s
ISO200
Flash on

Note the bokeh, nice round out of focus highlights due to the nine blade aperture (not the 6 blade of the Sigma). And the nice detail. No levels or sharpening on this image, just a 100% crop and some compression to meet the maximum file size quota. Note a touch of CA on the eyeglass frame from the flash reflection, hopefully that will not pose a problem. I will report back later, but right now this lens looks like a real bargain, the build quality of a proper Pentax SMC lens (far superior to the Sigma I was using) and decent image quality.

Any comments?

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:16 AM   #12

I agree that the bokeh is nice and I think the lens is nice optically, generally speaking. The CA is a bit distracting but I bet under normal situations, it will not be so dominant. The focus seems to be a bit off for the nose of the lady, but then I don't know which point the AF was made when you took the photo.

BTW, I used to have a Sigma clone version of the Pentax F 70-210/4-5.6, its build quality is good indeed, with all metal construction and silky smooth focus ring and push-pull zoom mechanism. What put me off is about the poor flare resistance and the strange colour rendition which is fade and with some slight color cast. The lens did have focus collimation error too such that it had difficulty to focus to infinity at 70mm. The lens had been later on re-adjusted by Sigma and I still keep it. It is very sharp indeed but I still prefer to use my F 80-200/4.7-5.6 which has better colors and is lighter and smaller too. The sharpness/resolution for my F lens is okay, athough it is not as sharp as the old KAF Sigma.
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:33 AM   #13

The Sigma you describe may be the one I have, a 70-210 UC ZOOM, it has a metal barrel with a non-glare finish, and uses a push-pull zoom mechanism. Mine isquite sharp but the focus mechanism is held together with tape (looks like it came from the factory that way). It isn't worth having it repaired by a pro so I took the simple "disposable" route. After trying several different types of tape I gave up and broke out the crazy glue. The lens now works but disassembly for future repairs is no longer an option. I may keep it or sell it cheap with my MZ-7 camera and the old 28-70mm Sigma.

Ira
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:39 PM   #14

My Sigma is of an earlier version, prior to the Sigma UC (Ultra Compact) version. In fact, it is the first Sigma AF lens which support my Pentax SFX. It was called the KAF Sigma (previous MF Sigmas were named as KPR which supports both Pentax and Ricoh, with Auto aperture).

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15

Ricehigh, I now thinkIknow the line you mean, I had a Minolta Maxxum 60-200 Sigma with an all metal body, push-pull zoom, and a small knurled focus ring. Extremely well built with a shiny black finish. Mine is a crappy mix of metal and plastic.

Ira
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:05 AM   #16

Exactly and that's it!

RiceHigh