Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:30 AM   #11

whats one of these lenses worth?

Also the pelican from the 20D looks like its had some severe levels/curves adjustments, if thats straight from the camera its terrible

edit: typo
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:15 AM   #12

I don't know what he did to the photo, since he sent it to me and the info was stripped from the file when I got it. I was just blown away because of the terrible shadow detail in the 20D photo compared to my DS although his sky is really a nice color. We were standing at the same place when we both took the two photos.

His lens is about $500 I believe and the FA* 300 is going for about $700-$1,000 right now on ebay.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:19 AM   #13

All DSLRs take great pictures, however only if there is a good lens and a photographer who knows what he/she is doing (or gets very lucky).

The Canon 20D, at low ISO, sometimes produces images so smooth they don't look real (they look like really good computer images). This is not a bad thing since we can always add noise to give the image more "character". This image does look over-processed, lacking the range of colour and detail of the other pelican. The contrast and saturation seem way too high. I would put it down to user error or the image was misread and grossly underexposed by the camera (the shorter focal length meant the Canon was reading much more blue sky).

Just an opinion, stillit is hard to beat a good prime lens. I tried to shoot some moon images last night, my zoom gave very poor results (decent consumer model but definitely not pro stuff) but my old Rikenon 135mm f2.8 with a Takumar-A 2X teleconverter gave me a decent image hand held (the changeable nature of last night's weather made getting the tripod too big a risk, moon could be gone behind cloud by the time I was ready).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:19 AM   #14

Ira,

I agree, but it does show me that the DS is capable of photography as good as the 20D and there is really no reason to switch from Pentax to C or N to capture exceptional images. I actually find Canon images to be over processed and like the idea that Pentax allows me to do the processing my self so I get the image I want, not the image the camera picked for me. Both photographers shooting with me (C and N) were shooting RAW files so they could process the color and highlights after the fact, while I was shooting jpg and getting just the color I wanted right out of the camera.

One of them called me last night and asked me how I managed to get the color of the pheasant and the shadow detail in the snow with my DS and what kind of PP I used. He was amazed when I told him that I just let the camera meter do the work and that pretty much everything that comes out of my DS looks like that.

I doesn't hurt to have a sharp contrasty lens though!

Tom

Monza76 wrote
Quote:
The Canon 20D, at low ISO, sometimes produces images so smooth they don't look real (they look like really good computer images). This is not a bad thing since we can always add noise to give the image more "character". This image does look over-processed, lacking the range of colour and detail of the other pelican. The contrast and saturation seem way too high. I would put it down to user error or the image was misread and grossly underexposed by the camera (the shorter focal length meant the Canon was reading much more blue sky).

Ira
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:22 PM   #15

Tom, I totally agree, the 20D is a great camera but it does not have enough to justify moving from Pentax. I also find that the pictures I have taken at ISO 3200 with the Pentax are farless noisythan those at the same level on the 20D (and this involves a boosted ISO mode on the Canon since it only goes to 1600 in normal mode). Speed and a more rugged build are the only real advantages of the 20D.

Keep posting those "fowl" pictures.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote