Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

I took this photo today with my FA* 300/Pentax 1.4X-S converter, manual focus!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2

Magnificent (as usual)... what focus mode do you normally use for these photos? I would also be interested in what image parameters you set on your DS and what (if any) post processing is involved. The sharpness is the lens of course, but the brilliant colours are also a strong point of your images. I do not have this quality of lens, but I do have a couple of very good MF primes, and I would prefer to shoot jpeg in my DL( as you said you do in another post ) because I am still working with only one 512MB and two 256MB cards until I can afford a 1GB card (still around $100 from local sources).

Impressive work Tom.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:48 PM   #3

tom,
that kind of looks like it was copy and pasted in.. man!!!!

lol
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:05 PM   #4

Not a chance of copy and paste! I guess I should have used a slower speed so some of the wings were showing movement, but I would never do anything like that in a forum without mentioning it first.

Shot in manual on the body switch by the lens mount, automatic/no flash on the top setting so the camera picks the meter setting (1000/sec @ f/11) using center weight metering. Since I shoot in jpg with fast moving subjects, I do PP a bit with just a bit of sharpening in CS, but no color correction at all.

Here is the frame just before he took off!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:22 PM   #5

Now this is cut and paste! A friend of mine shot the original with his Canon 20D (small pelican) at the same time I shot mine (large pelican) so I pasted them together to see which one had the best detail and handled shadow/highlights the best.

He use a Canon 28-135 zoom with IS (image stabilization) and I used my FA* 300.

Tom
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:58 PM   #6

tom!!!!
didn't you see the LOL in my post??? i'd never ever think you'd do that. your images are way too good to ruin them.. also i saw them over at dpr. but it can be a problem. recently i sent someone a group of 6 ducks flying and told her i took them in my helicopter. i took the same image and copied and pasted the individual ducks into an image of about 18 ducks. i know i ended up with at least 15 layers in PS. i sent that to her and she really thought i had a private helicopter. not that it would work here..

actually she and her hubby just bought a Ds. i've spent a few hours with them on how to use it and other things they are going to need. i'll try to post the pix tomorrow..
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:00 PM   #7

oh, forgot to say GREAT captures!!!!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:57 PM   #8

Thanks! I actually went out today (12 degrees F) looking for eagles to shoot, but then the pheasant came by and that became my day instead.

I thought the comparison between the 20D images and the DS images was interesting since the Canon seemed to have problems with both the light sky and the shadow areas under the birds wing. Even his IS lens didn't seem to give him as sharp an image as my FA* 300 did.

Tom
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:57 AM   #9

Tom

Thanks for the info, I am really going to have to brush up on my manual focus skills so that I can use my old 135mm f2.8. When a non-A lens is used the camera defaults to centre weighted metering anyway and exposure is manual (really a form of aperture priority with these lenses). I have an old Tamron screw mount 200mm f3.5 that I would like to try as well but I don't have an adaptor at the moment.

Thanks again, I see what you mean about the 20D comparison, the FA* lenses are more then a match for Canon's L glass it seems.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:17 AM   #10

Ira,

I actuallly like the non A lenses because once you set the meter reading, they never change if you move the camera around, so you can meter the subject you want, nothing in the background will change your setting, such as sky or snow. It doesn't hurt to use an f/stop that will give you some DOF when you are using manual focus either, such as f/8 or 11.

Tom