Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:47 AM   #1

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#dl_price

This is the first decent DSLR within my budget. I read some posts about the 18-55 lens. Sounds like a good deal.

As a rule, i am always skeptical about cameras and cars which undergo a sudden price cut. So just wanted to confirm is there a catch here. I dont want to end up with a camera with problems. Esp things like soft focus or any other problems known with this model.

Here are a few questions..

1. Is 6.1 MP good enough or do u think in another 3-4 months id get an 8MP for the same price :?.

2. Any known issues with this cam?

3. Is it in general a good buy??

Thanks in advance...... :-)
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:18 AM   #2

manz wrote:
Quote:
1. Is 6.1 MP good enough or do u think in another 3-4 months id get an 8MP for the same price :?.

2. Any known issues with this cam?

3. Is it in general a good buy??
1. 6.1MP is more than enough unless you will be making poster sized prints. The real difference between 6MP and 8MP is negligible (33% in area translates to less than 9% in linear size, hardly noticeable until very large prints). I have seen 12" X 18" prints from a 6MP DSLR and they are magnificent. You would not notice the difference between the two until larger than that.

2. The DL has a smaller buffer than some competing models so if burst mode is important to you you may want a DS2 or a Nikon D50 (next cheapest model I think). There are no rechargeable batteries included with the camera so you will need to spend another $20-30 on NiMH batteries (2500mAh is great) and a charger. Some reviewers did not like the quality of jpeg images but I think all you have to do is look at some examples here to see that they are just being picky (note that D, DS, DS2 and DL all use the same sensor and similar in-camera processing). Some people also find the AF slow compared to Nikon D50, depends on what you use it for I guess.

3. The DL is a fantastic little camera, it takes great images, is light but fairly sturdy, has a better viewfinder than Nikon or Canon entry level models, has backward compatibility with nearly every lens Pentax has ever made, is the class leader for LCD displays, and is cheap as well. I would prefer the even better DS2 but the DL offers the same basic features for much less (now that the price has dropped). It also has an ISO 3200 setting which is usable (but only when necessary).

Any DSLR takes great pictures, the worst DSLR currently on the market is merely fantastic, the DL is at the bottom in price but firmly mid pack for features and image quality.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:18 PM   #3

you can get it on ebay BIN delivered for $550
Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:57 AM   #4

I dont want to highjack the thread but do you consider the DL kit @$599 a better bang for the buck or do you think the DS kit @$699 is a better deal?

I am looking for a good entry level dSLR. I was planning to buy the DS kit for $699 before Pentax announced the price drop of the DL. But now with the price drop, do you think the DS is worth the extra $100? The DS @$699 comes with battery charger and a Pentax carring case.

When you said the DL is slower then the Nikon D50 in AF, how does the does the DL compair with the DS in terms of AF?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:05 AM   #5

go with your first decision and get the DS if you can find one.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:26 AM   #6

Thanks for the quick reply Monza76. Ive done some extensive research on theDS and DLcameras. I think picture quality wise the these cameras do a really good job. And thats what i am looking for. I dont want a fancy camera with lots of features and an ok picture quality.

I have another question. Most reviews and user experiences I read were for the Pentax DS. Is there a significant difference between the DS and DL.

How much would a telephoto zoom lens for this camera cost. (around 80mm -200 mm).

If i buy a 1GB card. will it effect the startup time. I have an olympus point and shoot which starts up in 2 seconds with a 16 mb card and 2 minutes(yes two minutes) if i use a 256 MB card. Is this problem there with *1st DL too?
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:13 AM   #7

I can't help you with the lens question - I'm using a 25 year old 80-200 lens that my father bought.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"As far as using a 1 GB card, I've been using the Sandisk Ultra II in my DS and start-up is almost instantaneous - a second at the most. I can't imagine the DL being any slower.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:58 PM   #8

On the lens question, there are 80-200mm lenses and there are 80-200mm lenses all by Pentax and covering quite a price range.

There is the PENTAX-FA 80-200mm f/4.7-5.6 going on ebay for around $90

There is the PENTAX-FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 going on ebay for around $1,400

Manual focus versions of PENTAX 80-200mm lenses go for even less on ebay, so you can pay very little for the focal length that you want, and you can pay a lot for the same focal length, it just depends on your needs and pocketbook.

You get what you pay for up to a point, but after that point the price goes up rather steeply for the extra image quality the higher end lenses bring you.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:44 PM   #9

Well, my WIFI signal seems to have gone on vacation half way through the upload of my reply-Once Again!

You can get a 80-200mm Pentax manual focus lens on ebay for less than $50

You can get a 80-200mm Pentax FA f/4.7-5.6 auto focus lens for around $90

You can get a 80-200mm Pentax FA* 2.8 on ebay for around $1,400

You get what you pay for up to a point with these lenses, then the price goes up dramatically for the best glass Pentax has to offer.

Which one you should buy depends on your needs and your pocketbook!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:26 PM   #10

I have both the Ds and the DL. Honestly there is very little difference in the two. The view finder is a little larger with the Ds, but the DL's is a bit brighter. I always use the center focusing point so that is not a significant difference to me. Beyond that they are pretty well identical. Current price is a little over $520 for the DL. I think that is a bargain too good to pass up.
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote