Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:31 PM   #11

I went to one of the local camerashops that stocks a lot of Pentax and he said thehot shoe mount on pentax cameras hasn't changed in 20 years and the cable should work.

The only option was two adapters and cable totally close to $150-$180Aus. I decided to spend $50Aus and trust my local guys cameras knowledge.

I bought the Duo-sync cable from Ebay and will have towait and see what it goes like. Fingers crossed. :lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:20 AM   #12

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I went to one of the local camerashops that stocks a lot of Pentax and he said thehot shoe mount on pentax cameras hasn't changed in 20 years and the cable should work.
I bought the Duo-sync cable from Ebay and will have towait and see what it goes like. Fingers crossed. :lol:
i'm not sure that is correct as there are two(that i know of) connection cords. there's a 4P and a 5P. i know the 4P will not work with the ist as it needs the 5P..

i'm very interested if the ebay item works..
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:12 AM   #13

The 4p and 5p are adaptors that connect to a seperate round cable.

This cableis simply and extension cord with a male hot shoe on one end and female hot shoe on the other. There is a telephone type felxible cable in the middle which is about 60 cm longwhen fully extended.

Just have to wait and see :O
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:06 PM   #14

actually the 5P cord has 2 male ends. i'm looking at mine. i believe the diff between the two is the extra wire provides TTL metering.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:15 AM   #15

Looking at the camera's shoe, there are 3 pins. Apparently these three pins have been in use with Pentax cameras for 20 years.

The sync cable has a male shoe that fits the camera and makescontact with the three pins, it then goes via the cable to a female shoe with three pins (same as camera)to whichthe flash mounts onto that.

So, if all pins conact wth all connections, then full function of the flash should apply regardless of whether the flash is connected directly to camera or via the sync cable.

:?:?:?

:-)
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:05 AM   #16

actually the flash has 4 pins, one to the middle contact also. the 5th connection is on the side of the flash. if you don't use the 5p cords and connections then you will not get TTL metering and that's what you want. here's a pic of what you need.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:40 PM   #17

I agree that I didn't specify the shoemount contact and the centre mount, but I thought that was obvious as every shoe has that, I wastalking about the 3 Pentax specific contacts.

This Sync cord is the same as yours, same contacts just a permanent cord rather than one that can unscrew. By all logic it should work ALL functions of the flash including TTL as it has all the same conacts your does.

Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:09 PM   #18

I believe robar is correct, my flash has 4 pins in the same configuration, Im certain the 4th is for TTL metering.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:59 AM   #19

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I agree that I didn't specify the shoemount contact and the centre mount, but I thought that was obvious as every shoe has that, I wastalking about the 3 Pentax specific contacts.

This Sync cord is the same as yours, same contacts just a permanent cord rather than one that can unscrew. By all logic it should work ALL functions of the flash including TTL as it has all the same conacts your does.

then it should work. have you gotten it yet?
if so, how well does it work and what flash are you using?
if it works in TTL then it's a great price. i've found that for macros i need the use somewhere between -.1/2 to -2 flash compensation when using it..
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:19 AM   #20

I have bought a Sigma Ef 500 DG Super flash that has TTL and also wireless capabilities, however the DL does not support wireless .

Flash should be here Wednesday, sync cord? good guess, whenever it arrives, the joys of EBay