Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:56 AM   #1

Okay guys and gals, I have decided to purchase a nice flash unit for times when I need that little extra in my shots, it is a Sigma EF500, and it should be here on Monday.

I prefer to use the flash unit seperate from the camera on a cord, so I can hold it out to one side for oblique lighting and also to move it up and away for some macro shots.

I have been using a Nikon D100 with an SB800 flash at work lately with this set up and would love to do the same with my DL. So, having said that, does anyone know what is available for the Pentax DL.

I have looked about and found a duo-sync cord on Ebay for pentax camera, this cord is basically a male and female hot shoe with a flexible (telehone type) cord in between allowing the hot shoe connection to be extended via the cable. Cost $24.00US.

Does anyone have one of these cables, where did you get it from etc etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DUO-SYNC-DED...QQcmdZViewItem

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:56 AM   #2

crashman,

I'd make darn sure that it will work TTL with the ist. after trying to get the F5P connections separately on ebay i finally bought a BIN for about $50 delivered. it came with the 5P hot shoe, a 9.5' 5P cord, and a 5P hot shoe tripod hot shoe. i did not need the latter but am glad i have it as i bought a vivitar550 dedicated flash to supplement my 400ftz. results are fantastic. B&H has these parts listed for $106. what you have posted, if it'll work, would be a great price compared to the pentax price. just make sure of the TTL abilities.. otherwise it's useless..
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:58 AM   #3

shots taken with it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:59 AM   #4

another
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:00 AM   #5

and
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6

I just sent my EF500ST back on warranty - but its a damn good flash for the price.

Anyway, off topic but here is what happened -

The EF500 has a built in diffuser - it pops out of the top of the gun and flips down. When this happens the filament comes right up to the glass - well a while back i noticed a black spot on the diffuser. I thought I had just squashed a bug in there or something so took no notice.. a couple month later the spot was growing. I noticed the filament had been burning through the glass on the flash - it didnt smell to good but it worked perfectly.

Wierd. Well its been on warranty for 4 weeks already, still nothing back.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:36 PM   #7

The way I see it, if the TTL function is n the flash and the hot shoe extension cord has all the contacts , all the TTL functionsshould work.

Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:27 PM   #8

that's correct. i'd ask them..
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:11 AM   #9

I did, but they said they didn't know, believe it or not, but the Ebay seller shop is for wrist watches, how and why they are flogging these cables for different cameras is beyond me.

I have sent an email to Sigma to ask if they know of any type of cord for their flash units.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:47 AM   #10

i googled the link but got nothing but ebay hits. i'd rather spend twice the money for something i know will work.