Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:18 PM   #1

I couldnt hold it anymore, I drove to stockton to buy the Pentax DS w/lense and carrying case for $699. The lense is a standard 18-55mm Pentax DA lense.

I just got into photography about 2 months ago because I was looking for a new hobby, something outdoor. I am intrested in nature photography, like landscape shot and animals as well as birds. When taking picture of the outland, I dont think I need something with high zoom, but when I want to take a picture of an animal or a bird something around 300mm would be nice.

I am also intrested in a macro lense. I am somewhat confused on a macro lense. I had the Fuji S5200 digital camera and when taking macro shot I have to be very very close to the subject when taking the picture. I hope this is not true with a dSLR.

I am looking for a lense with a high zoom for right now, but dont want to break the bank on buying one.

Also I am looking for a cable release thingy, but I dont know what to look for. Do I have to get a Pentax brand or do another company make one that work just as good but for half the price. I dont really care about wireless or not, just something that I can use when I take macro shot.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:25 PM   #2

there's a lot of people here that use the sigma 70-300mm APO zoom. it'll also do macro from about 3 feet. it's not the best lens but for a little less than $200 it's yours. there are 3 models of this lens. the APO is the most expensive.

here's a macro with it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:25 PM   #3

another

Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:29 PM   #4

Stockton where??
Old Feb 9, 2006, 7:59 PM   #5

Im sorry, Stockton California, by Sacramento.

Those pictures look kinda grainy, is that caused by the camera setting or the lense?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:04 PM   #6

a lot of that was due to the jpg compression factor. also i didn't have noiseninja at the time but alot was also due to the fact that the first is at iso3200, 2nd at 1600
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:43 PM   #7

Just north of Stockton here in Sacramento. I have two DS cameras and plan on going out and about using them. Just got a circular polarizer for one of my new lenses and the weather here has been absolutely stellar. Here on vacation by the way and will have to go back to the frozen tundra in a week and a half.

Enjoy your camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:56 PM   #8

why do you have 2 of the same camera?
:shock:
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:41 AM   #9

So he can mount a telephoto on one, and a wide angle on the other, I assume.

Saves having to change lenses, if you dont have time to, say at sporting
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:43 AM   #10

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I just got into photography about 2 months ago because I was looking for a new hobby, something outdoor. I am intrested in nature photography, like landscape shot and animals as well as birds. When taking picture of the outland, I dont think I need something with high zoom, but when I want to take a picture of an animal or a bird something around 300mm would be nice.

I am also intrested in a macro lense. I am somewhat confused on a macro lense. I had the Fuji S5200 digital camera and when taking macro shot I have to be very very close to the subject when taking the picture. I hope this is not true with a dSLR.

Also I am looking for a cable release thingy, but I dont know what to look for. Do I have to get a Pentax brand or do another company make one that work just as good but for half the price. I dont really care about wireless or not, just something that I can use when I take macro shot.
Hi,

I would buy a Pentax 50-200 - only 200, I know... but remember you got a crop of 1,5. So the 200 is like a 300 on film-cam. For longer lenses you'll need a tripod.

Macro: Pentax 100mm macro or sigma 180/3,5 Macro

Remote control: Build it yourself! A Cable-release is: 2,5mm stereo-jack, two switches and piece of 3lead-cable... that's all

tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote