Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:06 AM   #11

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Can you give examples of an "A or P" setting on the aperture lense?
The Pentax SMC-A series has agreen A on the aperture ring. So do many of the never lenses, such as F and FA- except those, who do not have an aperture ring at all (because the aperure is controlled from the camera body).

Ira might be right about third party lenses - I dont know about that. But the original Pentax SMC-A works fine, as long as you dont mind focusing manually. And the A-setting will allow metering at full aperture, just as any new lens. In fact, they are often very great value for your money, from an optical point of view.
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:14 AM   #12

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Also can someone confirm if ritzcam.com is the same company as ritz camera?
What other sites are good for buying used lense?
I dont know anything about that company, but what they show on the page you referred to dosn't impress me. I dont see any of the Pentax lenses, that normally are most sought after.

My advise would be to go to e-bay or some similar sites with classified ads or auctions. However, you should probably research a bit more on the net (try som of the links from my site, referred to above - the links are to english language pages), before jumping for an offer.
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:00 AM   #13

I forgot to thank you for the link - I went to several of the sites looking for information about lenses, and found most of what I wanted to know (like the Pentax 50-200 is about half the weight of my old Pentax F 70-210), and also some more information about the Kiron. Since it was a hand-me-down from my father (I had bought the Pentax) I didn't know anything about it.

I was considering going to a camera show (they have them most weekends somewhere around here) but think I'll just buy the new lens, and keep the Kiron for a back-up. Thanks everyone for all this wonderful information!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:02 PM   #14

robar et al:

What I said is correct, camera lenses designed to work on A-series Pentax Cameras and P-series Ricoh cameras (as many were), will get stuck on AF Pentax cameras. The simple reason is that a contact on the mount, designed for the Ricoh auto aperture system, will snag on the AF coupler on the Pentax body. Check out previous posts here about owners using feeler guages to get lenses off of their cameras. There arealso instructions on how to remove the contact so the lens will work on the Pentax.

I am most definitely NOT referring to Pentax A-series lenses, they were designed by Pentax for Pentax and will work fine.

Check out:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...elp+lens+stuck

It seems that the most common problem is Sears marketed lenses, probably made by Samyang, that used a KR (K mount for Ricoh) label. These lenses are hazardous unless the offending contact is removed. I would avoid Ricoh lenses with a P setting as well.

I have one of these lenses (which does not go near my DL) and I will take pictures of the mount if I get time.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:25 AM   #15

Yeh, Ira is correct- be careful with the 3rd party A lenses -Im sure theres more than those 3 threads he posted where someone has had one get stuck because of that little pin.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:20 PM   #16

Here is the picture I promised. It shows the location of the contact to avoid (or remove) and shows why it jams in the AF coupler on the camera.
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:48 PM   #17

Thanks for the pics and replying to my post.

I'll be more careful when buying used lenses
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:53 PM   #18

Other than giving upauto focus and the fact that you have to use the AE-L button to set the shutter speed, is there any reason not to buy an oldthird party K-mount lens? Some of those old lenses are really nice.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:58 PM   #19

mtngal

You just listed the only real drawbacks. I admit that I do find it hard to focus some lenses manually with my DL but the DS or DS2 may have a little more contrast because of the real pentaprism and may be easier.

Ira
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:03 PM   #20

Which K-mount lenses would be more likely to cause problems wtih having enough light to focus? I've been getting better with the DS, though my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Having the beep and green light to tell me that it thinks it's in focus has helped a lot. I haven't tried to take photos in low light much, so haven't had a problem yet with two manual lenses I've been using (the 50 mm that came with my ME and a 60-200 Kiron). I'm thinking of getting the 50-200 Pentax and perhaps a macro lens of some sort. I had been thinking of perhaps getting another K-mount lens to save money, especially if I get the Pentax.