Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:01 AM   #1

I bought the Pentax DS with the 18-55mm lense.

I am new to photography and I dont really have a lot of money to spend. I would love to buy all new digital lense but then again I am afraid that I will break them or mess them up some how. I dont want to invest in a lot of money on lense right now, I will later though.

I was told that the Pentax DS was able to accept the older pentax lense from the past. Which lense WONT my DS work with?

I am looking at lense from ritzcam.com for the lense.
http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/index.html
Click on View Online Catalog
On the left side they have Pentax K mount and Screw mount lense. Will they work for my camera?

Also anybody know how good is the site? I never heard of them before, but then again Im new to photography. Are they the same as ritzcamera?

What other place online that is a good place to buy used lense besides bhphoto.com
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2

all k-mount will work on DS, screwmount will need the m42-K adapter.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:34 AM   #3

get the pentax 50-200mm. that would give you a range of18-200mm. with 1.5 mag factor it would be equal to 28-300mm.. you probably won't need more. if you end up needing more reach then get a 400mm prime..
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4

I'm glad this topic came up because I can't quite make up my mind what I want to do. I have a Pentax F 70-210 that is broken and this week I should get the estimate on how much it will cost to fix. I also have a Kiron 80-200 that I've been using since I got my DS several weeks ago and it takes excellent pictures.

My original thought was to not get the Pentax lens fixed if it was going to cost more than $50 - I have the nice Kiron, and having auto focus would be nice, but I could live with manual focus (I've actually found it is easier for me to hold still than the FZ30 I sold). However, I went hiking Sunday and now remember why I prefered the Pentax in the first place- the Kiron weighs a ton.

My next thought was to get the Pentax lens fixed if it were around $100 - I sawthat lens for sale at B&H for a little less than $100, and that seemed to be what they are going for elsewhere. That would solve my weight problem and I know that the glass in mine is good, the problem is with the zoom mechanism.

But all you lovely people here put such wonderful information up about lenses! It's made me reconsider everything, and now I can't make up my mind! Now I'm thinking that I should skip fixing the 70-210 lens at all, and buy the Pentax 50-200. That lens would probably be all I would ever want for most things - I've found myself rarely using the wider part of the kit lens, while I'm often wanting to use something around 50, or at least less than the widest on the Kiron. And there's the mail-in rebate going on at the moment which would mean that it wouldn't be all that much more than fixing the Pentax (assuming the at-the-moment mythical $100, I'll get the estimate at the end of the week).

Is the new Pentax 50-200 as good as my old Pentax F70-210 (I remember being delighted with it, but it's been 4-5 years since it worked)? I've seen some sample photos here taken with it, and they look good to me. Is it lighter or about the same weight? I don't want to give up much quality for the difference between carryingor not carrying the kit lens. On the other hand, carrying the kit lens and the heavy Kiron on long hikes would be something I'd much rather avoid!

Thanks very much for any advice you could give me on this - I think I've analyzed it to death and need some outside, objective input.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5

I am on the same boat as you are, I am over analyzing on this, but the only difference is that you have more experiance then I do. I went ahead and bought the Pentax 100-300mm lense from bhphoto.com used for abour $80 shippped. It should be here on friday, I cant wait to try it out.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I think I've analyzed it to death and need some outside, objective input.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6

This is a popular question on the net, including this forum. Try doing a google search, and you will problably get at number of relevant hits.

One that might pop up is my own web-site at http://www.christianehoej.dk/optik.asp- there you will find a detailed description of the different Pentax lense series in relation to dSLR. But mind you, the pageis in danish :blah:- and for the few of you, who are not fluent in this exotic language, here is a small summary:

Any lens with a K-bajonet wil fit on the istD, DS and DL bodies. This mount was introduced by Pentax in 1975, so there is quite a huge amount of used lenses out there now. However, there a different series, offering different possibilities:

Fully manual (often advertised as SMC-K or SMC-M): can bein manual mode, with light-metering stopped down toworking aperture. This can be done rather elegantly via the AE-L button (look in the manual), but is never the less a bit to cumbersome IMHO. Anyway,some of them are optically great at a very low price.

Automatic aperture, no autofocus (formally known asSMC-A,recognisable by the letter A on the aperture ring): Set the aperture to A, and they will function (almost) as any brand new lens on your *istDS, except for the autofocus. (The camera gives you a focus signal, but you have to turn the focus ring manually). You can get som exceptional glass here, if you are on a budget and don't mind skipping the AF.

Fully automatic (often advertised as SMC-F or SMC-FA): Gives you (almost) everything, including AF - but generally more expensive, of course.

As the (almost) implies, there are some other subtle differences - if you want to dive deeper, follow the links on my page.

The pre-K-mount lenses have a 42mm screw-mount, and will fit with an adapter. I guess they will behave somewhat like the SMC K/M, but I'm not really shure.

Lars

lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:07 PM   #7

One more important warning (this has been here many times before so a search should get more). Avoid third party manual focuslenses with an A or P setting on the aperture. If they were designed to work on the P series Ricoh cameras they will probably get stuck on the Pentax. Lenses without the A/P setting are usually fine. All third party auto focus lenses should be fine and all the early K-mount (no A or P on aperture ring) should work as well.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:16 PM   #8

Can you give examples of an "A or P" setting on the aperture lense?

Also can someone confirm if ritzcam.com is the same company as ritz camera?
What other sites are good for buying used lense?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:52 PM   #9

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Can you give examples of an "A or P" setting on the aperture lense?

Also can someone confirm if ritzcam.com is the same company as ritz camera?
What other sites are good for buying used lense?
ira,
that's just not right. a LOT of 3rd party lensesand pentax lenses have an A on the aperture ring. in fact you want an A on the aperture ring because it notes that the lense will meter without stopping down the aperture. there's a WHOLE line of pentax A lenses-- they're called the ''A series".. they came after the M series. the F & FA series came after the A series and would meter thru the lense and auto focus..
Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:56 PM   #10

superakuma - I looked at the Ritzcam site and the top says "Ritz Collectibles." I would bevery surprised if this were part of Ritz Camera, but I don't know that for a fact. Good luck with your 100-300 lens - I can't keep something that long still enough (I sometimes have problems with 200, since that equates to 300 on the DS).

Monza - if I understand you correctly (I"m a newbie here, though I had an ME previously) - the third party lenses that have an A setting on them are different than the Pentax lenses that have an A setting? My old Pentax F 70-210 has an "A" place on the aperture ring, but it won't have a problem, right? It will be different than a third party lens (like Vivitar)with an A, they could have the problem.

I looked at B&H again and the lens they have isn't the same as mine - it isn't a SMC, which mine is, otherwise it is the same lens. Would the fact that mine is coated make it worth more (I have been reading all about lenses, but still find myself hopelessly lost sometimes)?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote