Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:53 PM   #1

Hi

I just got myself a Pentax ist DL and and for some reason the LCD screen does not turn on automatically when I turn the power on the camera. I can review pictures I have taken and Im postive its working.

Ive gone through (what I think...) are all of the options in each of the Menus (Settings, Playback etc..)

On another smaller Digital Camera I have, there is simply a button to switch from EVF to LCD.

Help??

Stabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:41 PM   #2

open the menu and go to setup. In the setup menu at the bottom is "guide display", go down to it and then press the toggle button to the right so that there is now a tick in the box, then press OK.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

Remember this is a SLR camera not a point and shoot (P&S). The LCD screen is for reviewing your shots and setting menu options not for viewing the scene before you take a shot like on simple P&S.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Stabba wrote:
Quote:
On another smaller Digital Camera I have, there is simply a button to switch from EVF to LCD.

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Remember this is a SLR camera not a point and shoot (P&S). The LCD screen is for reviewing your shots and setting menu options not for viewing the scene before you take a shot like on simple P&S.

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:50 PM   #5

When I bought my DS,I knew I was giving up the LCD preview function and figured it wasn't any big deal - I hardly ever used it for taking a picture. However, I didn't think about how much I used it for taking pictures of low growing wildflowers, and now I'm discovering how much less flexibility I have now than when I first got a Pentax ME! It's just one of those things you give up to get the ability to take great photos.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the help.

The quality of the photos is amazing so far, so I guess in the end its not that big a deal..

And now I dont feel so dumb for not being able to figure it out...

:-)
Stabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Think of it this way - by having to use the viewfinder you are actually improving your photos - more stability and easier to spot horizon lines that aren't level (well, usually).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote