Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:11 AM   #1

What is the biggest prints that you tried with the camera? Or what do you think the biggest prints that we can do without looking grainny.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:48 PM   #2

If you use special software to enhance the image, there is a limit on how high you can go and get a nice print but it is very large.

The image becomes mathematically encoded as an algorithm and the pixels of the original raster image are replaced with a new file structure that stores the entire image and none of the pixels. Then the software will replace your original image with a higher resolution image of the same quality and you are good to go.

I have taken many files from my DS and printed them at 16"x20" and they are sharp with great contrast just like the originals.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:29 PM   #3

Two approaches towards an answer:

In theory: the maximun resolution of a the camera is 3.000 x 2.000 pixels. A typical high quality inkjet printer has a resolution of 300 DPI at the most. It means a maximum print of 10 x 6.67 inch / 25 X 16.7 cm.

In practise: the maximum print area of my own printer is A4 (29.7 x 21cm). I'm fully satisfied with the quality of prints of this size.
lkch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:07 PM   #4

lab prints will be better quality as they are processed the same way film is, Ive gotten excellent 12x18 prints (~A3), Ive also done a A2 print and an A1 print (on a large professional inkjet) and they come out with acceptable quality, nothing worthy of selling though.

They all look fine at the proper viewing distance (which I am told is 2x diagonal length of the image).
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:11 AM   #5

I sell 12x18 prints all the time with professional quality from my DS and the sharpness is equal or better than 35mm film prints.

Tom
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:59 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I sell 12x18 prints all the time with professional quality from my DS and the sharpness is equal or better than 35mm film prints.

Tom

What is the name of the software you utilize to upsize these images?

TIA
pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:44 AM   #7

I use Genuine Fractals 4.1 on my Mac and have been using this program (plug in) for years. It does what it claims and is reasonably priced although some files enlarged a great deal, do require some very slight sharpening after the transformation.

The quality of your final image is dependent on the file size you start with, as the plug in will not take a postage stamp image at 72dpi and turn it into a 16"x20" quality photograph, but it will take a DS full size file and turn that into a 16"x20" photograph of fantastic quality.

YMMV, but it has worked for me for years!

It is available in both Mac and PC format.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Tom