Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:16 PM   #1

Hi,

Anyone use angle finder on Pentax *ist D series (D, DL, DS etc) ?

Can someonetell me for recommended shop that sell it online ?

Thanks to all !

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:12 PM   #2

yep for pentax its this one:

http://tinyurl.com/7ndx7

which will give a laterally corrected image
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:29 AM   #3

I've got one of these seagulls, they have had good reviews and are dirt cheap compared to the pentax, make sure its the one with two times. Works great easy to see sturdy. They have a number of attachments to fit different cameras I have a DL. Note these are Australian auctions.

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/sea...;Submit=Search
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:24 PM   #4

I have an old Pentax ref-converter which only fit the older cameras (pre-M-series) such as the Spotmatics and the early K-series (KX, KM, K2, K1000). Very well made but the mount will not fit on the newer cameras which have a larger viewfinder. Does anyone know of any modified mount to allow the use of this older piece.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:57 AM   #5

rtogog wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Anyone use angle finder on Pentax *ist D series (D, DL, DS etc) ?

Can someonetell me for recommended shop that sell it online ?
Hi,

you can use different angle-finders:
  • The original pentax 30148 optical finder - best quality, but expensive (in germany 389 EUR)[/*]
  • The Seagull is cheap costs appr. 90 EUR, but most of them extremely bad quality: Never buy it via online-shop you MUST test it....[/*]
  • the zigview is an electronic system (cam & monitor) with zoom-function etc. costs 169 EUR
[/*]
All prices include german VAT = 16% - if you buy outside the european union it should be 16% cheaper plus your local tax)
tekade_alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:36 AM   #6

Seagulls are great and have good reviews, what specifically do you see is wrong with them? I bought one online along with many other bits and pieces without any problems, I have had worse luck with some retail stores.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:14 PM   #7

Please ignore my previous posts, it is amazing what a screwdriver and a pair of pliers can do. I first thought of using a dremel to cut away some metal, but my skills are limited, so I removed the mount, reshaped it to fit the new viewfinders, and then reassembled it. The old refconverter leaves an inverted (left to right) image, like my old TLR camera but the optical and the build quality is incredible (the crackle paint is over real metal).

Here is a picture of the result:
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:41 AM   #8

I am surprised at you Ira.

1. Your camera is set to 'P', I took you for a 'M' kinda bloke :blah:

2. Is it me or do I detect some filings on the camera on the rear end shot, I thought you would have made sure all grinding and manufacturing would have taken place as far away from your NEW DL as possible. :G
:lol:

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:30 AM   #9

Crashman

1. OK you caught me, the typical "grab shot" mode, program with the kit lens. Did a cast photo last night for the local amateur drama group, used the Rikenon 28mm f2.8 at f5.6 and 1/125while usinga Vivitar 285 flash, will that restore my status?:-)

2. No filing near the camera, I used the viewfinder cover supplied with my MZ-7 as a guide, made a simple cardboard gauge to check the size and test fit it on the MZ-7, all before it ever went near the DL. As you have probably noticed my PS job at combining these images has resulted in the lower corner of the camera being clipped off, unfortunate but only virtual.:-)

Next time I will show the camera with an "all manual" setup.:blah:

rtogog

Thanks for bringing this topic up, I probably wouldn't have done this at this time of year unless reminded. Now I have a good tripod camera and macro camera. Not quite as good as a rotating LCD digicam, but close enough especially when you take the better image quality into account.

Ira

Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:09 PM   #10

Following the advice of members of the rival list, I recently purchased the Seagull 1/2x via eBay Buy It Now. It came from Hong Kong within a week and is of decent optical quality. It came with several converters, one of which fit the *ist D perfectly. the image is neither reversed nor upside down. In 1X mode, I can also read the data available in my vewfinder.

I doubt it comes up to the standard of the Pentax Refconverter-A. It does cost 75% less and has no direct affect on the quality of the image.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote