Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:28 AM   #1

My local dealer told me today that Pentax is releasing the new 11mp camera tomorrow in USA.

He was not sure if it was going to be badged Samsung or Pentax though.

It is not the medium format camera, that is the 22mp, it is an 11mp 35mm style Digital.

Thats all he told me. Told me to check dpreview, which I have and can't find a thing.

He seemed very very confindent of his information.

For those waiting for the new camera, I hope this is what you are waiting for.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:43 AM   #2

If it is true, that would be a total surprise and fantastic information.

Alek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:50 AM   #3

Oh my.....
I need to upgrade on storage and speed of my PC then.....
Can't they be satisfied with 8 or 9 High quality Mp with low nois high dynamic range etc etc????
janneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:01 AM   #4

Janneman,
11 Mp would be fantastic result, more than D200 ect, if it is truth and sensor will be very good I believe that would be a hit.
Do you know any very good on line second hand Pentax shop in Holland?By the way, you bought 135/1.8, how you assess it vs 135/2.5 SMC from 4 till 11?

:|
Alek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:20 AM   #5

Maybe that's why they had the rebate on all the DA lenses ...

11MP full (or fuller) frame?????
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Oh wow!! This is just fantastic news - I just hope and pray it's true!! I have been a Pentax user ever since I bought my first camera (ME Super) in 1981 aged 12. It was the first significant purchase of my life and took me a combined Christmas, birthday and a lot of saving of my paper round money to get. I shot thousands of images with that camera from Alaska to Liverpool and only replaced it in 1998 with an MZ5n for a trip to Australia. Obviously I have several lenses, a Pentax flash and all the other stuff. I have wanted to go digital for the past 2 years or so but have been following the saga of replacement of the Ist D for ages and have held off. I nearly bought a D, then a DS, then a DS2 - but all the time what I really wanted was this.

I have to say during this time I very nearly lost the faith and switched to Nikon, but there's a part of me that prefers to support David rather than Goliath! Isn't it great when David lands a knockput punch!

Go Pentax Go! They'll never call it a Samsung - not for the high end range!

Jonathan aka Saxon

saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:47 PM   #7

Excuse my skepticism but I think I'll believe it when I see it. I don't really need an 11MP camera, but I would like to see a good mid-scale camera to replace the D, and I realize such a camera would have to keep pace. As for the full frame issue, Pentax has some of the best wide angle glass (for small sensors) that is available anywhere, I don't think we need a "full frame" sensor as long as it has low noise and solid high ISO performance.

I guess I'll just wait and see, but I will not be holding my breath.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:52 PM   #8

The rebate applied to many full-frame (film) lenses as well. For instance...77mm F1.8 limiteds. Actually...all the ltds. are included in the rebate program as swell as the D-Macros. Regardless...it'll prove interesting. At least this rumor beats all the doom & gloom, 'the sky is falling' posts elsewhere. Have a nice day.

Ron Johnson

RonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:05 PM   #9

Where do you think the sensor for that camera is going to come from. I haven't heard of Samsung making such sensors. Only Sony has them and I think they have a deal with Nikon not to sell any of them for a while. Anyone know anything about that?
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:36 PM   #10

I've checked DpReview and can't see anything about this new camera.

Has anyone heard Anything? Surely this is not a wind up and the tip off is true, as I said, the dealer and one of the other shop employees seemed dead certain that it was being released today and they seemed to know all about it.

The conversation was raised as they were discussing lens compatibility and how they (the shop) were waiting to find out from the sole importer of Sigma lenses for Australia (Cr Kennedy) to update them as to lens compatibility for this new camera.

They said to watch DpReview for the details.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote