Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:02 PM   #1

I saw this bird just at dusk when the sun was getting low. I found the tracks on the left, the tail at 45degrees, the head straight up and down and the shadow leading off to the right fascinating. This is a crop of about half the original frame, but I like the composition.

What do you think?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:30 PM   #2

i think it's what i expect from you, tom. another great capture.

course it kinda looks copy and pasted
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3

That would be a project with all that ice and snow, along with the shadow!

Shot this instead of the eagle I drove over to take photos of, since the eagle was being a big pain, wouldn't cooperate and was taking more time than I was willing to deal with. Saw the pheasant in the brush, waited and he walked by with the sun on the side I could see, but with great shadows. Then after (I know I should have checked) he was gone, I noticed I was using incandescent light balance, and all the images were BLUE-UV overload!!

Lucky for me I was shooting RAW and I could change the white balance to 5400, from 3200 with just a nudge of the slider. That could have been a project more difficult than the cut and paste had I been using my usual jpg shooting mode.

Tom
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:49 PM   #4

Beautiful pheasant shot! What lens did you use?
Joyce Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:53 PM   #5

Thanks!

FA* 300 Pentax, 1/4000 sec, f/4.5, ISO 400.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6

tom,
you know i'm kidding about the copy and paste.
this is a prime example of why you should shoot in raw..
well done!!
Old Feb 26, 2006, 12:40 AM   #7

You know I realize you are right about RAW, but when I shoot in jpg the final images require much less processing in CS than when I shoot in RAW and my normal results come out just fine in jpg.

That said this day would have been a real long one if I had not been using RAW.

It is amazing how spoiled we get in such a short period of time, where I find RAW limiting because I can only get about 100 images on a 1Gig card, when just a few years ago I was limited to 36 exposures on film.

Tom
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:15 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
You know I realize you are right about RAW, but when I shoot in jpg the final images require much less processing in CS than when I shoot in RAW and my normal results come out just fine in jpg.

That said this day would have been a real long one if I had not been using RAW.

It is amazing how spoiled we get in such a short period of time, where I find RAW limiting because I can only get about 100 images on a 1Gig card, when just a few years ago I was limited to 36 exposures on film.

Tom
so true. this also relates to manual focus. i find myself using manual focus quite a bit because a lot of times it's just faster..
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:37 AM   #9

I agree with manual focus also, since I had to use it with this photo due to little stems sticking up everywhere and the camera not being able to stay on the pheasant when it sensed one of them.

Speaking of faster focus, I put some of my lenses on my old PZ-1P film camera yesterday because I needed some slides for a show and the focus is so much faster than on my DS it is amazing. I hope Pentax puts a bigger motor in their new DSLR flagship, so the autofocus goes back to the speed of the Z-1P, although that would not keep me from using manual focus on most of my wildlife shots.

Tom
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:04 PM   #10

Lovely shot Tom. Good exposure with all that white going on. I like the birds expression and also it's strutting look of a walk.......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote