Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:15 AM   #11

> Thanks again. However, I disagree with your point of "overall negative tone". There are something negative for sure and there a lots of things mentioned are "positive". So, my review title is named as "A Mixed Bag of Goodies and Evils" :-)

Good point.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:46 AM   #12

Ricehigh,

Actually I think you would have been more acceptable as a source of information on Pentax had you included all the reviews on the site, and not just yours, since the majority (5 out of 7) were positive and not negative.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Pentax_is...splay_~reviews

I would like to see some image content to one of your posts, such as some photos you took that would show your practical application of the Pentax DSLR's you have. That is what the rest of us do on this forum and it is why we all post here, in order to gain more expertise in taking photographs with our Pentax gear, which we are all happy with.

So, lets see some photographs from you and not just test after test!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:36 PM   #13

> Actually I think you would have been more acceptable as a source of information on Pentax had you included all the reviews on the site, and not just yours, since the majority (5 out of 7) were positive and not negative.

My OT is about *my* review which is based on *my* expereince and opinions.

> I would like to see some image content to one of your posts, such as some photos you took that would show your practical application of the Pentax DSLR's you have. That is what the rest of us do on this forum and it is why we all post here, in order to gain more expertise in taking photographs with our Pentax gear, which we are all happy with.

No problem, you're not the first one who asked similar question when I am talking about the gear.

> So, lets see some photographs from you and not just test after test!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v313/RiceHigh/

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/Gallery/
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:17 PM   #14

You kind of missed the point on the posting of photos, but thanks anyway as some of your images are very nice.

Tom
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:29 AM   #15

I like mine. It was horrid b4 the 2.0 firmware upgrade.

I will say that the auto focus (no idea if camera or lens does this) works extremely well. It's poor in LL though, the UZI I had before spoiled me there.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:45 AM   #16

The inaccuracy weakness of the AF system will show up with faster prime lenses near wide opened. With the increase of the f-number, the AF errors will be hidden but then the resolution is decreased actually. Otherwise, the pictures can be more detailed because Pentax glass are fine lenses in general, which should produce much better results if a more accurate AF system is equipped.

Nevertheless, I know many *ist D and DS users use MF instead of AF for many circumstances which they found their cameras cannot do accurate AF.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:01 AM   #17

Not true with my DS!

I have the FA* 28-70, FA* 80-200 Pentax lenses and the AF is extremely accurate even wide open except in extremely low light. I am only forced to use MF when doing Macro or Micro photography.

I realize these are not Prime lenses, but Zoom lenses, but since they are some of the fastest lenses Pentax has to offer the principal should be the same.

Tom
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:58 PM   #18

> Not true with my DS!

Well, as I have said, I think everything is relative but not absolute.

> I have the FA* 28-70, FA* 80-200 Pentax lenses and the AF is extremely accurate even wide open except in extremely low light. I am only forced to use MF when doing Macro or Micro photography.

The AF system of course do have its right time, which I have stated in my review. But it is highly dependent on the color temperature of the light source. With larger aperture fast primes, you can see the errors clearly just in the viewfinder! However, I am still able to see that at f/2.8, there have been loss in resolution with some little blur owing to the AF errors, too. Afterall, the pictures can be sharper if you have the patience and time to do MF or even MF bracketing!

> I realize these are not Prime lenses, but Zoom lenses, but since they are some of the fastest lenses Pentax has to offer the principal should be the same.

Yes.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:01 PM   #19

" Well, as I have said, I think everything is relative but not absolute."

You seem to think that because of your review (your opinion) my experiance with my DS and focusing is incorrect and yours is not! My DS does focus correctly at 2.8 and even 1.7, without the need for MF as you can see from my many posts on this forum, and at least for my DS, this is not relative, but absolute.

"I am still able to see that at f/2.8, there have been loss in resolution with some little blur owing to the AF errors, too. Afterall, the pictures can be sharper if you have the patience and time to do MF or even MF bracketing!"

I don't doubt for a second that you have this problem with your DS or D, but I do not with my DS and I really have no need for MF or even bracketing to get sharp images and your saying that I do have the problem does not make it true.

Tom
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:04 AM   #20

Can't affordAF primes ...

The MFhave such a shallow DOF I can't focus thru regular VF, have to use the magnifier.

I wouldn't be surprised ifAF got it wrong once in a while.

Hey, RiceHigh, you get the firmware update b4 your testing??? (too lazy to read)
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote