Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1

http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

Enjoy and hope you folks found it useful!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2

Ricehigh,

So your negative veiw of Pentax DSLR's starts on this forum after getting no where on Phil's forum.

I have read your comments on dpreview and disagree with almost everything you have to say and have had no issues like you claim to have with your DS. Mine meters perfectly, jpgs are soft, but CS takes care of that, instead of relying on in camera sharpening which may or may not do what I want it to do.

Inaccurate and Slow AF is not true, at least with my DS, it may be slow, but it is more accurate than Nikon or Canon in short DOF situations, which I have tested with a D70s and a 20D.

Inaccurate metering is ridiculous, since I shoot jpg most of the time and the metering is always right on the money.

Your battery and camera issues my be caused by the fact that you use Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries which are "banned" by Pentax officially at their digital support website because of potential camera damage. I use rechargeable AA (2500 mAh) batteries and can fill five 512 cards using jpg and still never have to replace my batteries, which is good enough for me, so I really don't see you problem with the batteries in the DS.

NO UPGRADE PATH??? also not true.

Poor service? I have no idea, since I have had no problems with my DS, but any film camera (LX, 67) I have sent in to Pentax USA in Colorado, has been worked on in a very professional way and returned to me in a timely manor with the work done perfectly and may times some extra work done for free.

You are either extremely unlucky or a camera hypochondriac IMHO!

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:21 AM   #3

RiceHigh

Pentax hasn't really supported the pro market all that seriously since the LX anyway. We appreciate your dedication to testing and evaluating equipment but some of us are quite happy to just take pictures (often several attempts to overcome focus and exposure issues) and enjoy the results.

You are a great source of information keep up the good work, but let's not get caught up in arguments over the negatives. Pentax still offers more "bang for the buck" than any other company (although Olympus is now coming close). And the ability to experiment with lenses which were thought to be obsolete adds to the enjoyment. Your review is fair overall and I doappreciate that you are lobbying Pentax for better quality and better products, but the overall negative toneis quite clear. Most of us have not had experiences that negative regardingquality.

Please do not interpret this as a flame, I have gained much information from your website and your postings. Don't let your experiences with Pentax get in the way of our enjoyment.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:23 PM   #4

DITTO all of above.
some cars are lemons. guess that's what RH got.. hmmm doubt it
bottom line I LOVE MY Ds
Old Feb 26, 2006, 5:45 PM   #5
Administrator

Let's keep it civil guys.

Feel free to debate the issues, but let's keep anything personal out of it.

I've removed one post in this thread already.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:45 PM   #6

JimC, understood, I hope my comments did not seem overly negative. RiceHigh is a very meticulous user who has taken great lengths to explore issues of Pentax quality control. I think we can all agree that the new digital models do not have the confident feel of an old KX, MX, LX or even a K1000, but I think that is a symptom of our current consumer society. I would probably not notice the details that RiceHigh has measured so carefully, unless it had a noticeable impact on my photographs.

Issues with the jpeg quality have been noted by most reviewers, but photographers like Tom (ennacac) consistently produce fantastic images using jpeg format (but only the best lenses). The problem is often one of overgeneralization, and the digital medium itself. Due to the ease with which we can observe our images, at high magnification, on our computer monitors we have become far more aware of issues which may have existed in our film cameras but gone unnoticed.

I apologize for any comment which may have been negative.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:15 PM   #7
Administrator

No, that was not directed at you Ira, or to any one specific member.

We"ve got a lot of friendly forum members that try to help each other out in a variety of ways, and I'd hate to see that spoiled by hard feelings over comments made in the past elsewhere.

In other words, lets all learn to get along.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:25 PM   #8

Thanks JimC!

And Ira, I think Your input is a fine example on how to disagree without disrespecting your opponent.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:57 AM   #9

> So your negative veiw of Pentax DSLR's starts on this forum after getting no where on Phil's forum.

Tom, actually, the "negative" points you supposed forms only part of my review. To sum up, there are 8 major "Pros", 9 major "Cons" and 10 "Tricks and Tips" there in my review. So, my comments indeed are not that bad as you supposed.

Moreover, for the Tips and Tricks, there exist special Pentax functions and features before I can write something on how to use these..

> I have read your comments on dpreview and disagree with almost everything you have to say and have had no issues like you claim to have with your DS. Mine meters perfectly, jpgs are soft, but CS takes care of that, instead of relying on in camera sharpening which may or may not do what I want it to do.

No problem, because we are just different users and have different gear plus we all use our gear differently and have different requirements too! :-)

> Inaccurate and Slow AF is not true, at least with my DS, it may be slow, but it is more accurate than Nikon or Canon in short DOF situations, which I have tested with a D70s and a 20D.

Everything is relative on this planet. I know that my MZ-S and my *ist D is both faster than my *ist DS and is more sensitive at low light. BTW, the MZ-S's AF system is far more accurate than both the *ist D and DS. Enough said.

> Inaccurate metering is ridiculous, since I shoot jpg most of the time and the metering is always right on the money.

It is not "ridiculous" as long as I see pictures underexposed and the histogram shows it is underexposed too. RAW can correct these errors usually, nevertheless.

> Your battery and camera issues my be caused by the fact that you use Rechargeable CR-V3 batteries which are "banned" by Pentax officially at their digital support website because of potential camera damage. I use rechargeable AA (2500 mAh) batteries and can fill five 512 cards using jpg and still never have to replace my batteries, which is good enough for me, so I really don't see you problem with the batteries in the DS.

Nope. My RCR-V3 works well as my CR-V3s do and there is no difference and everything is the *same*. If I use NiMH, the AF will be slower and it will run out of batter juice very quickly.

> NO UPGRADE PATH??? also not true.

Just wish to ask which model can I upgrade to? The coming 645D or the 10M *ist D successor under the glass at PMA?

> Poor service? I have no idea, since I have had no problems with my DS, but any film camera (LX, 67) I have sent in to Pentax USA in Colorado, has been worked on in a very professional way and returned to me in a timely manor with the work done perfectly and may times some extra work done for free.

You have already answered your own question, I think.

> You are either extremely unlucky or a camera hypochondriac IMHO!

Disagree both. I think Ira has a better word which I can agree: meticulous.

RiceHigh
Old Feb 27, 2006, 2:01 AM   #10

Ira,

> Pentax hasn't really supported the pro market all that seriously since the LX anyway. We appreciate your dedication to testing and evaluating equipment but some of us are quite happy to just take pictures (often several attempts to overcome focus and exposure issues) and enjoy the results.

Thanks and yes.

> You are a great source of information keep up the good work, but let's not get caught up in arguments over the negatives. Pentax still offers more "bang for the buck" than any other company (although Olympus is now coming close). And the ability to experiment with lenses which were thought to be obsolete adds to the enjoyment. Your review is fair overall and I doappreciate that you are lobbying Pentax for better quality and better products, but the overall negative toneis quite clear. Most of us have not had experiences that negative regardingquality.

Thanks again. However, I disagree with your point of "overall negative tone". There are something negative for sure and there a lots of things mentioned are "positive". So, my review title is named as "A Mixed Bag of Goodies and Evils" :-)

> Please do not interpret this as a flame, I have gained much information from your website and your postings. Don't let your experiences with Pentax get in the way of our enjoyment.

Of course I won't because your sincerity in reply can be easily seen. :-)

RiceHigh